Everyone in California OK?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope all So Cal SMF members, family and friends are okay after the earthquakes.

We heard from my cousin who lives in Ridgecrest (basically the epicenter) is okay as well as her family & neighbors. But another big one hit about an hour ago and I haven't heard anything more from her. We live about 400 miles away as the crow flies and felt it here. The news says there has been about 1700 aftershocks since the one yesterday which is terrifying.

I'm praying everyone is in a safe place and unhurt.

Carolyn is a little closer to the epicenter than I. We haven't felt a thing, but we know we're on a slab of bedrock which prevents us from feeling much. Friends in Carlsbad and Vista said they felt it; had a picture fall, swaying curtains (normal CA stuff) Nothing compared to Ridgecrest; those poor folks won't get any peace now that they're predicting an 11 percent chance of another quake 7 or above.

I was just reading up on this.
I knew about the 6.1 but didn't know about the 7 one yesterday !
And just read that they think that is a FORESHOCK :eek:

I'm in Boston so what do I know, we only know about Blizzards here. Our 'earthquakes' are so so tiny

My son felt this one in Temecula, which is about an hour west of San Diego, but said it wasn’t strong. My mom is in Ventura, on the coast north of LA and she’s not up yet so I haven’t had her report. She lived in No. Hollywood for the Northridge earthquake and it was an eye opening experience for someone who had spent most of her life on the US east coast. We had a very rare 5.8 magnitude earthquake in Virginia back in 2011. I was on the third floor of a university building and the floor literally did a traveling wave under our feet. I didn’t even realize what was happening, but it was a creepy feeling.

Carolyn is a little closer to the epicenter than I. We haven't felt a thing, but we know we're on a slab of bedrock which prevents us from feeling much. Friends in Carlsbad and Vista said they felt it; had a picture fall, swaying curtains (normal CA stuff) Nothing compared to Ridgecrest; those poor folks won't get any peace now that they're predicting an 11 percent chance of another quake 7 or above.
I live in a hillside home on stilts in Whittier and my house rolled really well. It was the 7 that we felt. I knew it had to be a very large earthquake if it was not centered closer to us. I went through the Whittier Quake when many homes were destroyed here. It really worries me with the number of Fragrances I have in cabinets.

Oh wow! Glad you all in California are doing okay. Great to see you are okay too Carolyn. I thought about you immediately I heard.

Back