Every soap weighs the same? How??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zelda Rose

Reaction score
I was asked for a batch of soaps that all weigh 140 grams. I see where packaged soaps will all have the same weight printed on the label. I use the Bud cutter and all are cut well but is this possible? How do you do it??

Using minimum weight on a label is against FDA labeling. You can label a soap under the weight on the label but cannot use the word minimum. It you want exact weights use individual cavity molds. When pouring in slab or log molds soap batter does not always pour exactly even so you can get some variance in soap weights. You have a much better chance with individual cavities as long as the soap batter stays thin enough to pour evenly. On the other hand, it is handmade soap so nothing is exact

Using minimum weight on a label is against FDA labeling. You can label a soap under the weight on the label but cannot use the word minimum. It you want exact weights use individual cavity molds. When pouring in slab or log molds soap batter does not always pour exactly even so you can get some variance in soap weights. You have a much better chance with individual cavities as long as the soap batter stays thin enough to pour evenly. On the other hand, it is handmade soap so nothing is exact
so if I mould for 100g, and get some 105g bars which I label as 100g, the FDA are going to tell me off?

If you are following US regulations, Sandra, you are required to state 'net weight', which is the weight you expect your soap to be after cure. The variables in net wt. occur all the time with all kinds of products, but unless your soap is seriously underweight, you should not have a problem. Here is a quote from the US regulations: "Reasonable variations due to loss or gain of moisture, or deviations in good manufacturing practice, are acceptable." https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/Labeling/Regulations/ucm126444.htm#clgj

However, you are in Australia, so I don't know if you sell soap (which in some cases might be considered as a cosmetic) in the US, so would the US FDA tell you off? I don't really think so.

Neither do I know if the OP is in the US or not.

For anyone wanting to learn a bit about methods for calculating the net weight of your soaps, below are links to Marie Gale's
instructions how to calculate the net weight of soap in two parts:

http://www.mariegale.com/calculating-net-weight-soap-part-1/

http://www.mariegale.com/calculating-net-weight-soap-part-2/

I make them to be a minimum weight, and lable with that minimum weight
Yes! Molds is how they prob do it. That makes sense.

Latest posts

Back