Evenin Primrose Oil Soap Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyprince

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Today I made Evening Primrose oil soap,but after that I felt a bit suspicious of my formula.I wonder if it will harden&cure in short time?Will it be a very soft soap?Did I use too much evening primrose oil?
Here is the formula:
Coconut Oil: 10%
Evening Primrose Oil: 12%
Castor Oil: 7.5%
Olive Oil: 70%
Water: 35%
Super Fat:0%
Essential Oils : 5%
Any help will be highly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Did you run it through the soap calc? I just did and your bars numbers were really low in the hardness range (really low), so yes, I think this will be a very soft soap. I would recommend going to soapcalc and playing around with your percentages a bit. Coconut will definitely add some hardness to your soap, so I might up that one or add some palm. Good luck!
Cheers!
Anna Marie

Your soap will be fine. You basically made an olive oil soap which you should let this cure for several months. Biggest problem will what you used in soap calc for the remainder .5% since your numbers do not add up to 100% (99.5%). Essentials oils are not counted as a percentage of soaping oils, which is where you could have a problem with the 0% superfat. I would have to know what % you used in soap calc or which calculator you used for the extra .5% and how much lye you used. You are going to end up in the minus superfat which will usually still work with a proper length of cure, but need to keep checking for zap. My experience with very low cleansing such as this is. it does take a 0-1% superfat in order to be able to feel like the soap rinses clean. Let them cure and they should be okay, you can always rebatch later down the road or even salt out if they remain lye heavy.

Last edited:
thanks a lot. yes,I used soap calc.
if I rebatch it,should I add extra oil(olive oil perhaps) or just heat it?
Thanks again

Latest posts

Back