Evap. Goat's milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noreen Moore

Reaction score
Read and read but did not read if adding the water to my evaporated milk before freezing it into cubes will prevent the orange/brown discoloration from evap. goat's milk. Soap Queen video shows her dissolving the lye over the milk cubes and she has the container also sitting in an ice water bath. I only bought the one can as I didn't know the powdered goat milk can be added to the oils! (And half the price!) Thoughts?

Read and read but did not read if adding the water to my evaporated milk before freezing it into cubes will prevent the orange/brown discoloration from evap. goat's milk. Soap Queen video shows her dissolving the lye over the milk cubes and she has the container also sitting in an ice water bath. I only bought the one can as I didn't know the powdered goat milk can be added to the oils! (And half the price!) Thoughts?
You will only get the orange/brown discoloration if you burn or scorch your milk. It has nothing to do with the type of milk it is.

Do a search on the "split method". That's what most people do when using evap milk or powdered milks. There will be tons of posts that come up.

@jcandleattic wow! Much more info searching the 50/50 split! Looks like I don't necessarily have to reconstitute the milk either.
nope. :)
It took me YEARS (literally) to find out that I could do a 50/50 split when making milk soaps (or even just regular soaps with my 50/50 masterbatch) I've been soaping for 17 years, and put 2+2 together about the split method about 2.5 years ago. LOL

Much more info searching the 50/50 split!
It's a much easier way to make milk soaps - I'm with Shunt and JCA, messing with frozen anything and lye is just too fiddly. Even as a soapmaker with almost 2 years experience when I tried my first milk soaps, messing with ice cubes and lye was frustrating and my first attempts failed spectacularly. I switched to using a combination of water and very cold milk in my lye solution (which still wasn't great, those clumpy bits of saponified fats grossed me out) and then I came to this forum and learned that ... omg I can put the milk in my oils??!! Game.changer. I haven't looked back, and honestly I can't tell the difference between soaps made with the split method and soaps made with 100% milk.

Back