Eucalyptus Essential Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My advice based on my own experience... ask the requesters to do a custom order. I've had this happen a number of times over the years where people (may be several or only one, it varies) have requested a scent, I made it, and then even the people who requested it didn't buy it. Now when people request scents, I tell them I'm more than happy to ask them to place a custom order and give them a 25% discount off retail. For example, retail on 9 bars for me is $49.50, so I'll offer to make them their own batch for $37. My success rate with this has been about 50%, which is still better than I was doing just making a batch and maybe selling one or two bars.

Now specifically for eucalyptus... I don't get any requests, but I haven't made a straight eucalyptus soap. I have however made eucalyptus and spearmint for years and it sells quickly, and is still one of the highest requests that I get.

Now specifically for eucalyptus... I don't get any requests, but I haven't made a straight eucalyptus soap. I have however made eucalyptus and spearmint for years and it sells quickly, and is still one of the highest requests that I get.
Yes, I make a Spearmint, Peppermint, Eucalyptus and it sells well. In a 5 lb. batch I use 1.7 oz. Spearmint, .5 Supreme Peppermint, and only .3 oz. Eucalyptus. Eucalyptus is still noticeable at this low percentage. How is yours?

I was going to say a dab of euc with a generous amount of a sweeter mint (such as spearmint or japanese mint) would be real nice.

In my little (not soap related) business, I've gotten stiffed a few times with requests like this. I second @amd's advice about offering to do a custom order rather than make a batch for general sale and find out the hard way the scent is a tough sell.

Another suggestion is to be sure to get a down payment at the time a firm order is placed. That way the customer has some "skin in the game" so their commitment is serious. Also if they do back out, you at least have your out-of-pocket costs covered.

Some of my coolest ideas have been customer requests like this, but not every customer idea is a raging success. ;)

Last edited:
I was going to say a dab of euc with a generous amount of a sweeter mint (such as spearmint or japanese mint) would be real nice.

In my little (not soap related) business, I've gotten stiffed a few times with requests like this. I second @amd's advice about offering to do a custom order rather than make a batch for general sale and find out the hard way the scent is a tough sell.

Another suggestion is to be sure to get a down payment at the time a firm order is placed. That way the customer has some "skin in the game" so their commitment is serious. Also if they do back out, you at least have your out-of-pocket costs covered.

Some of my coolest ideas have been customer requests like this, but not every customer idea is a raging success. ;)
I used to use Japanese mint but to me it is really sharp, not sweet. And at least a few have said it smells bad. (to put it mildly). Peppermint Supreme from NDA is more expensive but definitely worth it to me.

Yes, one of my best sellers is from a customer's suggestion. I had made a lotion stick that had a popular scent and she asked if I could make a lotion in a pump with that scent. I also make the same scent in soap. All three are top sellers.

How is yours?
I do equal parts spearmint to eucalyptus, and it's very good. I don't like to use peppermint in soap as I have some customers who have had reactions to it, spearmint seems to be less irritating. I also use Eucalyptus Dives essential oil, which isn't as medicinal as some Eucalyptus EO's.

Latest posts

Back