Eucalyptus EO Issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyredgirl

Reaction score
Have any of you guys had issues with eucalyptus essential oil, I don't ever use it but I had somebody who wanted me to use it and it's creating I would say a hardness issue on my oils and why are all within ratio especially according to soap calc. and my own calculations as well so I'm just wondering if you've had issues with eucalyptus oil and separating or overheating.

Sure:
Small batch-tester
6oz canola -HO
6oz coconut -92
5 oz lard

6.46 water -bottled/distilled
2.47 lye

38%
5% sf

EO-.5 oz

Mix lye -cool to under 100F
Measure and melt oils,
Stick blend to light trace
Separate to add French green clay to unscented portion (7.5 oz)
Add EO to uncolored portion
Still at light trace
Pour in silicone mold
Pour colored in
Chopstick swirl
No refrigeration or gelling
This morning cracked and hard almost like too much lye but I was VERY accurate

No, sorry the measured mixture with soap and clay was 7.5 oz, the clay was measured to .5 oz just for a light color

"...This morning cracked and hard almost like too much lye but I was VERY accurate ..."

Cracked as in overheating?
Or cracked as in shattering while cutting?

The proof of whether it's lye heavy or not is to test it. So does it zap?

I don't know if the clay has anything to do with your problem, but I will say that's about 3 times more clay than I'd use. I used about 4 grams (0.15 oz) of green clay in 200 grams (7 oz) of soap batter recently and got a pleasant green color.

Why do you think the EO is the culprit?

DSC_0140 500.jpg

I've used this ratio before with a different EO, and never had an issue. It does both, but no zap.

I'm starting to chock it up to me teaching my sister how to soap and something misfiring

The soap gelled fast and hard then -- that can cause soap to be brittle. It happens sometimes and is always rather unexpected.

Warm the soap in a 150 F oven for about 1 hour, then try to cut. If still brittle, warm another 1/2 hour and retry.

I really don't think it's the EO.

Giving the EO another chance.

I will say that aside from the brittleness issue, it is a fantastic soap. Cleansing but not too harsh. And would have been pretty had it not cracked.

I'll probably just end up HPing it but I've got one as a kitchen soap.

Latest posts

Back