Etsy's new 5% transaction Fee, includes shipping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
Etsy's new 5% transaction Fee, includes the shipping charges as well !

So looks like the 3.5% went up to 5% and now Includes the shipping charges you charge the customers too. And it still applies even if you don't use Etsy for the shipping. What ever you charge the buyer is what the 5% is on.

There is a thread on their forum that has 248 pages of complaints, they actually locked the thread hahaha
Many are saying that they are leaving which would mean that other sites will get more people selling on them.

Funny, Etsy did NOT update their POLICY page to reflect this either. Nor do they list that they collect WA and PA sales tax. Seems to me they want to up the price fees but not fully disclose them in their policies.

Since you can't 'say' for Etsy customers to go to your website to buy in your listing, how are you promoting yourself?
What other places are you looking to sell on besides Etsy ?

Yeah we saw this and posted about it elsewhere too. Pretty much decided that its curtains for our etsy site which is a shame but I cant justify putting both the prices and the shipping up to cover Etsys costs.

At the moment we are just using our website and trying to use social media to generate sale but we are looking at a UK start up who are hoping to do something similar to Etsy but they charge £4.99 per month regardless if you sell but you get 100% of whatever you generate. Not sure what to do yet but it seems a short sighted move by Etsy

on top of shipping too! WA sales tax is way high, not sure about PA, but thats a serious bummer
whenever i'm shopping on etsy- i use google to try to find if they have a stand alone website- i'd much rather the artisan get the full amount
i'm not clear on how it works when a personal site uses etsy for their payments- i'd assume that the fees are still going to etsy?
pinterest has an option to purchase a pin now, wonder how that is

I too have looked for peoples personal websites, mainly because I want to see if they have more information or wheat have you.
I don't think I would use Etsy for payment if from another website. I would think they would have PayPal or Square. I use PayPal and will use the SQ at farmers markets .

I know that other places charge 10% of a sale :eek: I have read, maybe it was Ebay ?

Just wondered if anyone was using something else besides their own websites.

Most of my traffic is word of mouth and social media. I barely get on Etsy traffic, even when I paid for ads. Im still on Etsy for its ease of use, but will likely move to shopify or big cartel. Make use of my domain name.

Latest posts

Back