Ethical micas in Britain?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chickenpoopshoes

Reaction score
Second question tonight for all my British soapers- where do you get your supplies from?
I’ve really only used Soapkitchen so far but, by gum! Those micas are pricey! And there seems to be no mention of ethics?
Resin8 make a big point of their ethical micas but they seem to come in tiny packages.
I only really need a supplier for additives (clay, scrub particles, colloidal oats) fragrances and colours. Where should I look?

You can try The Soapery, UMakeitup, Mica Moma..

They are the ones I've used or been recommended, no idea on their ethics but I thought they were lab created too.

Ethics in micas, as I define it, relates to the mining of mica. You can get hold of mica that has not been mined by children, for example. I shall look up those companies- thank you!

https://justasoap.co.uk
I made an order years ago with JAS. loved their fragrance fresh linen. As far as I can remember there wasn't any seizing with any of my recipes with their fragrances. Never tried anything else....I'm in France so I can't give any other references.
Good luck!!
btw love your name!:D

Ethics in micas, as I define it, relates to the mining of mica. You can get hold of mica that has not been mined by children, for example. I shall look up those companies- thank you!

Pure micas aren't generally available nor would you want to use them due to other substances in them like metals and would react to the soapmaking process. You only want to use micas that are specifically made for High PH Soap.

I use soapery and soap kitchen for oils butters and micas. I use fresh skin for my essential oils and fragrance oils, the coconut fragrance oil and strawberry seized my soap up in seconds though so I’m on the look out for a new coconut fragrance...plus it didn’t smell at all like coconut so I wasted a whole loaf of soap ,that looks ok as I was only doing white so threw it in the mould before it went like dough, but smells like dough now, not even that nice unscented soap smell!!

Unless a "mica" is made from fluorophogite, it's laid on a substrate of mica that is mined. So they all go thru labs but the raw material may or may not have been ethically sourced.

The mica mines in India use children slaves as well.

Yes, that’s exactly what concerns me. Royalty Soaps seem to be able to source ethical micas in the states and I think it is very backward of the UK if we can’t do the same.

I can’t speak to where to purchase. But to my knowledge micas are lab created. So don’t know how they would be ethical. Interested to hear other opinions.
I just found the company below, you do have to buy the set of 35 or 60 colours though but they have a statement at the bottom which declares they do not use child labour.

arteza.co.uk

Latest posts

Back