Essential Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinyson

Reaction score
My Brother told me about a sent he tried and it was Burnded Coffee and Cedar. I have the Cedar; Infact I have many different types of Cedar. I just can't find the Burnt Coffee Essential oil. Can anybody help me with this? You can e-mail me at ([email protected])

Sincerely Daniel

I know here in South Africa we can get a Coffee "Essential oil" but Its more accurately a reduction or an extract.
Why don't you try to make your own black coffee reduction?

You can grind up fresh coffee beans and brew a strong pot of coffee, and then pour it into a saucepan and slowly simmer the coffee until it becomes a syrupy consistency. (similar to how you would make a red wine reduction or balsamic vinegar reduction)
I'm sure that your black coffee reduction will have a sufficiently strong coffee smell for your soap.

I know here in South Africa we can get a Coffee "Essential oil" but Its more accurately a reduction or an extract.
Why don't you try to make your own black coffee reduction?

You can grind up fresh coffee beans and brew a strong pot of coffee, and then pour it into a saucepan and slowly simmer the coffee until it becomes a syrupy consistency. (similar to how you would make a red wine reduction or balsamic vinegar reduction)
I'm sure that your black coffee reduction will have a sufficiently strong coffee smell for your soap.
Has that worked for you? I have never known coffee's natural scent to last in a soap. It's partly why I get instant coffee for soap making purposes

Has that worked for you? I have never known coffee's natural scent to last in a soap. It's partly why I get instant coffee for soap making purposes
Does the instant coffee smell hold up in soap? How much do you use per pound of soap?

I haven't yet tried it myself, I've just seen it made on youtube videos by Royalty soaps and Missouri river soaps.
I have however bought a small bottle of the coffee extract and I want to make a soap with it and compare it to filter coffee soap.
and also try to make a stronger coffee solution and boil it down to a syrup and compare the 3 of them.

Here are the videos I've mentioned.

I haven't yet tried it myself, I've just seen it made on youtube videos by Royalty soaps and Missouri river soaps.
I have however bought a small bottle of the coffee extract and I want to make a soap with it and compare it to filter coffee soap.
and also try to make a stronger coffee solution and boil it down to a syrup and compare the 3 of them.

Here are the videos I've mentioned.

Thanks!!!🤩

Does the instant coffee smell hold up in soap? How much do you use per pound of soap?
Be it instant or brewed, it's natural scent is going to be lost in soap. Coffee soap tends to lose any scent you put into it unless you scent it strongly enough to stick (and even then, that scent is fighting a natural scent eraser).

and also try to make a stronger coffee solution and boil it down to a syrup and compare the 3 of them....
To be honest, coffee extract, if its what I'm thinking it is, is too expensive to be used in soap and will be wasted. If you really want to try it, go ahead but keep that soap for like a year or so. That way you can see what is going on with it. But if you are looking for a coffee scent to come through in your soap, a coffee scented FO is the best way to go.

Be it instant or brewed, it's natural scent is going to be lost in soap. Coffee soap tends to lose any scent you put into it unless you scent it strongly enough to stick (and even then, that scent is fighting a natural scent eraser).

To be honest, coffee extract, if its what I'm thinking it is, is too expensive to be used in soap and will be wasted. If you really want to try it, go ahead but keep that soap for like a year or so. That way you can see what is going on with it. But if you are looking for a coffee scent to come through in your soap, a coffee scented FO is the best way to go.
That's what I was thinking too! I have not used fragrance oils in my soap making, only essential oils so I do not have a coffee scented soap.

I remember my sister use a coffee for one of her daughter's soap giveaways at her christening. The soap smells like a vanilla latte.

Latest posts

Back