Essential oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Walport

Reaction score
New to soap making I spend alot of time in the great Outdoors. I was wondering if
Anyone knows if anyone makes a earth/dirt
Smelling oil? I've see pine cedar etc.. any help appreciated..

Unfortunately you won’t find an EO that smells like dirt. There are FO’s that do though. I’ve purchased Natures Garden dirt fo and it smells like dirt. Haven’t used it yet though.

Unfortunately you won’t find an EO that smells like dirt.
I dunno, I've got a Cedar Atlas EO that to me is a lotta dirt and I've seen a number of Ginger EO reviews that say "smells like dirt to me". But you're right, likely no dirt-guaranteed EO....

Unfortunately you won’t find an EO that smells like dirt. There are FO’s that do though. I’ve purchased Natures Garden dirt fo and it smells like dirt. Haven’t used it yet though.
OMG, is there any scent that doesn't exist in FO? I love the idea of a soap that smells like dirt[emoji38]

A high neem oil soap with cedarwood and a pinch of black pepper comes close to dirt. I have a soap like that. When the neem mellows down though, it won't be dirt anymore lol

Dirt smell is the odor released by atinomycetes organisms that live in the soil. If you dig a scoop of dirt from some place with reasonably healthy, productive soil and take a big whiff, that's the smell that you smell.

Some hunters want to concoct a dirt smell with the idea that this odor will mask their human scent and make them smell more "natural." I'm not at all sure that works, because any blend of EOs or an FO that smells like dirt to our limited human noses might smell entirely different to animals' noses.

I suggest using ingredients with strong scents that aren't formulated by humans. One example is pine tar soap. I'm still not sure something like pine tar soap really masks human scent, but at least it's a step in the right direction of using smells that are direct from nature (burnt wood).

I am now having a problem figuring out exactly what dirt smells like...dog poop? creosote? June bug larvae?...

I'm pretty sure it depends on where the dirt you identify as smelling like dirt comes from. To me, not all dirt smells the same. I believe it depends on the content of the dirt, which minerals and so forth are in it. For example, a rich garden soil vs. the dirt you find at a construction site. Or the soil on the floor of a rain fores vs. the soil in an arid climate.

And of course, as you mention, is it 'clean' dirt like potting soil, or 'contaminated' dirt, like where the cat buries it's waste?

I use a dirt fo every fall for halloween soap. I have customers who buy me out they love it year round. We all have that weird scent we like I guess. Lol it smells exactly like dirt too, was moving my raised garden beds and noticed the smell right away.

Latest posts

Back