Essential Oils vs. Fruit Extracts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeekicker

Reaction score
Hi. Quick question to anyone and everyone:

Are essential oils the same as fruit extracts?

In more context, the ingrediants on the back of shaving soaps/creams list certain products. Examples: citrus aurantium dulcis peel extract, or citrus medica limonum peel extract. Are these fruit extracts or essential oils? Or are they the same thing? Or are they fragranes?

Thanks!
Adam:p

Essential oils are 1,000 times more potent than a fruit extract. What you are reading is the INCI for the essential oils.

So when reading ingrediants off the labels, they are "INCI" for the essential oils? What exactly does that mean?

INCI = International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients

The INCI name for the dried peel of the sweet orange would be "citrus aurantium dulcis peel".
The essential oil pressed from the peel of the sweet orange is "citrus aurantium dulcis peel extract".
An infusion of sweet orange peel in jojoba oil would be Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, citrus aurantium dulcis peel extract.

I don't think "extract" in this context is quite as broad a term as it would be used in common language, but I'm no expert on INCI terminology.

Okay, that makes sense. So whenever you see one of those large "greek" names, it is the INCI name for an essential oil? Or INCI name for a fragrance oil?

"...whenever you see one of those large "greek" names, it is the INCI name for an essential oil? Or INCI name for a fragrance oil? ..."

I never assume anything about INCI names -- I look it up if I don't know for sure. My understanding is the INCI for FOs is simply "fragrance", but don't take my word for it.

Latest posts

Back