Essential Oils Sweating..?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAC

Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone come across this before, it appears as if essential oils, or vit E, from a CP soap are sweating. The image below is taken after 24hrs from pour. Does anyone have any thoughts or feedback, i'd really love to get to the bottom of this one!

Bests,

H
asda.jpg

By any chance did you add honey to this batch? It often looks like that if it doesn't get mixed in well, or if too much is used.

Fragrance can seep out if the soap overheats, so can glygerin or water.
Often it will re-absord but if it doesn't, you can gently blot it off with a paper towel
I see, the temp at which the lye and oils were mixed was around 55c. I striped the essential oils in after light trace. Would it help mixing the essential oils with a small amount of base oils and popping in the microwave for 10-20secs? I.e. is this a result of the different temps of the soap and essential oils, or just temp (55c) all round?

By any chance did you add honey to this batch? It often looks like that if it doesn't get mixed in well, or if too much is used.
No honey, outside the base we have red clay and rose hip power, alongside the essential oils. All usage rates as recommended, recipe through soap calc.

This sometimes happens to me. I don’t think it’s the fragrance oils. My soap has always absorbed it after a few days.

Would it help mixing the essential oils with a small amount of base oils and popping in the microwave for 10-20secs?
Good idea! Depending on the fragrance I'm using, I sometimes add it to the castor oil in the batch ahead of time to help disperse the fragrance and "stick" the scent. No heat necessary. 😉

TIP: Rather than adding fragrance (and other additives) at trace, try adding to the warmed oils, stir or stick blend for one full minute to fully incorporate, before adding lye solution. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice everyone, greatly appreciated and very useful, much to apply to the next batch!

Back