Essential Oils for Acne prone Skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahjane

Reaction score
I originally posted this question in the soap forum. oops. I have a facial melt and pour soap base and would like to add essential oils to it for my acne prone skin. Any suggestions? I was thinking lavender and rosewood. I am quite new to EO's and was wondering if there was a better blend. Any suggestions would be most helpful! Thanks!

I make one with french green clay and tea tree oil. I also make another with calendula and camomile and white kaolin clay

sunflwrgrl7 said:
I've been told that citrus oils help with acne.

You can use them at night, but not during the day. Your skin can become sensitized from the citrus oils and may cause severe sun damage.

Irena

Irena you're absolutely right, only use at night (sorry, should have included that in my post I musta been too tired) and always use a face cream with SPF the next day. Actually I think it's anything that might contain large amounts of vitamin C you need to be careful with, but it does have nice skin-clearing properties if used correctly. :)

I make an oatmeal tea tree oil soap that is great on my oily breakout prone skin. Even my husband uses it on his sensitive (redhead!) skin, although he whines about the 'flakies' of oatmeal in it! :roll:

I use 2 1/4tbsp of tea tree oil in a 4 lb batch of soap (and approx 1/4 cup of finely ground oatmeal) and it smells great and works wonderful!

There are several oils that specifically address acne concerns. Geranium, rosemary, lavender and cedarwood are great for regulating and balancing oily skin. Bergamot and lemon are good for antibacterial cleansing and spot treatments. Peppermint, tea tree oil and calendula have great antiseptic and healing properties. Acne-prone or oily skin can also benefit from lightweight oils such as jojoba, almond, borage or evening primrose.

Back