essential oils for a face oil (lotion alternative)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnl

Reaction score
i am making a face oil to use instead of lotion because i dont want the emulsifiers or the preservatives (allergic to all the preservatives i have tried)

i already use oil on my face instead of lotion.....i wet my hands, add one drop of oil, rub my hands to spread it around then apply to the face. works great. and it makes my skin feel better than any lotion I have ever tried. even at the end of the day my skin feels great and not greasy!

i am thinking of adding some essential oils to it
i know carrot seed EO is supposed to be good for the skin

does anyone know of any other EO's that are good for the skin and wont clog pores?

and what about Rosemary Oil Extract? would that be good to add or could it clog pores?
i dont want to add vitamin e oil because all vitamin e oils have a carrier oil, which is usually soy, and i dont want any "filler" oils in there to contaminate it!

my favorite face oils to use are:
- camelina, camelina soaks in as good or better than argan oil and is not greasy.
- argan (great stuff, and was my favorite until i tried camelina)
- jojoba (my least favorite of oils i would use on my face - its much heavier than the others)

i think i will use a mixture of camelina and argan for the base oils and stick it in a tiny bottle with an eye dropper for easy use.

Carrot seed oil is very good, especially in facial creams. BUT...I can't stand the smell! I added a bit of grapefruit and lavender which helped but not much.

I also like rosehip oil. I've been working on an "anti-aging" facial cream using it. My testers (meaning my mom and sisters, lol) really like it. I don't really note a smell from it either so that's a plus for me.

Lately though my favorite has been helichrysum oil. My mom has a few minor scars on her face from skin cancer removal and they're slowly fading. I get it mixed with jojoba oil. I've also used it on minor skin injuries like shallow cuts and minor cooking burns with great results. I also don't note much scent to this one either.

yes, i hear carrot seed oil is very good
and its not too pricey. BB has a decent price.

i did also hear about helichrysum....but that stuff is CRAZY expensive....
tho i found one place that has it for cheap....which scares me....why is it hundreds of dollars everywhere else but only $10 here?
https://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Helichrysum-Essential-Oil.html

other EO's i have seen suggested:
lavender
tea tree (i think tea tree might be a bit too harsh for the face)
frankincense
sandalwood
chamomile

but i dont want to add tons of stuff.....only the best ones that will actually make a difference

I use a tiny amount of lime EO in evening primrose oil for my face. I only apply it at night though since citrus EO's can make you sunburn easier. Its supposed to help with wrinkles and keep skin elastic.
For daytime use, I have almond oil that I've infused with carrot powder. Its bright orange and has a very faint carroty scent. A little is all you need, don't want your skin getting colored orange.

jnl;501412 i did also hear about helichrysum....but that stuff is CRAZY expensive.... tho i found one place that has it for cheap....which scares me....why is it hundreds of dollars everywhere else but only $10 here? [URL said:
https://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Helichrysum-Essential-Oil.html[/URL]

Wow! That's an amazing price. That's what I pay when it's mixed with jojoba. MMS has a good rep so I'm definitely going to order the 15ml size to try it out. Thanks for the link!

i asked MMS why their price is so low and this is their response:

"I just don't believe in raping your pocketbook. But, if you prefer, I will increase the price.

It is undiluted. It is the real thing. We are just more savvy at buying essential oils than other sellers and much more conscientious of you being a real person and not just a walking wallet than MLM people and other sellers."

lol

if you make an order from MMS, check out their cocoa butter for $5/lb!! its "soap only" cocoa butter. probably because it had melted and wont firm back up fully. if chocolate loses its temper it wont fully harden again until its re-tempered, but soap doesnt need tempered cocoa butter!

https://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Cocoa-Butter-for-Soap-Only.html

I've been lusting after the soaping cocoa butter too. Nice price!

I purchased the helichrysum from MMS and also have a $$$ heli from Natures Gift (not Natures Garden) that specializes in essential oils for therapeutic uses and perfumery as well as general fragrancing.

I use the $$$ one for specific healing purposes and the MMS heli for less demanding everyday uses -- face cream, lotions, healing salves, scents. I have to say I like the MMS heli. It has a spicy, warm, sweet scent that is very easy on the nose. It's truly hard to tell if its healing properties are different than the $$$ version, so I'm not going to go out on a limb and make claims one way or the other. But the scent is certainly typical of helichrysum and it's a pleasant EO to use.

I like the MMS 'tude -- matter of fact, a bit "in your face", but friendly, all at the same time. One of my favorite suppliers. :)

awesome, im glad you already tried it out and can attest its at least decent and appears to be the same thing.

yesterday i ordered 10lbs of that super cheap cocoa butter (so tempted to get more)
and 1/2 oz of the helichrysum to try out in my face oil

i also did a big order from SB and got some of the cheap frankincense

i didnt post the whole email he sent because he went on a rant lol
but it was funny
especially coming from a stranger at a company. seemed more like an email from a friend or a blog post on a forum.

i just spend $100 at voyageur yesterday, and ordered $100 from SB and $100USD from MMS.
yikes
and i still need citric acid, dentric salt, and carrot seed oil
i was going to get the citric acid and dentric from SB but that added on lots more to the shipping so i will just pick it up locally for cheaper

Latest posts

Back