Essential Oils became solid and gooey

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cascarral

Reaction score
Hello!

Im making a batch of pachuli and lemongrass.

I weighted my eos as always (have made this soap for 5 years now) but this time I diluted them in Olive Oil first because I was adding colorant (OO infused with anatto). As soon as I mixed, something gooey appeared on the bottom.

I tried heating them up but is not mellting. It has a very tough consistence.

1666828369113.png

Hello!

Im making a batch of pachuli and lemongrass.

I weighted my eos as always (have made this soap for 5 years now) but this time I diluted them in Olive Oil first because I was adding colorant (OO infused with anatto). As soon as I mixed, something gooey appeared on the bottom.

I tried heating them up but is not mellting. It has a very tough consistence.

View attachment 69263

I know this is an old post, but I would suggest that perhaps your essential oils are adulterated with some substance other than the essential oil, meaning they may not be pure. Are these new bottles of essential oils you purchased recently? Have you changed essential oil suppliers recently?

I have never had any issues adding essential oils to my base oils, most definitely not anything that would look like this. They simply mix right in, just as they would if I was diluting them for a facial oil or hair oil.

You also mentioned annatto....I had had the experience with *crushed* or ground annatto that if heat infused, it can cause a very thick, pretty much impossible-to-remove orange glue at the bottom of my jar. Even whole annatto seeds can get stuck in some weird goop they make - almost like a tree pitch-like goop - when heat infused. I ended up having to toss a couple of jars out once I used the infused oil up because they were impossible to clean out.

I now only cold infuse my annatto, whether crushed or whole.

I hope you found an answer to your issue.

Back