Essential oils at trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wessam

Reaction score
does adding essential oils after having full heavy trace ruin the soap? is it a must to add it at light trace?

There isn't a reason not to add it later -provided you can get it completely mixed it. I guess the danger would be that the soap starts to set up too fast... adding it at a lighter trace gives you more time and control. I actually like to add fragrance to my oils before the lye unless I need to separate out some batter to prevent discoloring it.

Thankx Snappyllama... Actually i have lost today my third batter in a row after a series of successful ones. i am just trying to trouble shoot. i will move my thinking now to the kinds of oils i used... i have doubts that i was sold palm oil instead of coconut oil. is there a way i can know the difference between them both?

well.. first two ruined batches i tried to make egg soap. i thought the recipe i followed faild cus it did not subtract the amount of egg from the amount of liquid.
so i retried using this subtraction. when it also failed, i thought it's because the recipe said that i had to wisk the egg in only a part of the oils apart, then after i add the lye solution to the rest of the oil and get light trace i add the egg/ oil mix. so i told myself maybe it has to do with the difference of temperature between oil/ lye solution part and egg/ oils part.

today i made a traditional recipe, all calculated with lye calculator... yet the texture of the batch looks like that of last time.

the onlty common factor between the three ruined batches and was not there before is the "coconut oil" i bought lately.. so i thought probably i was given palm oil instead of coconut (just troubleshooting.. iam not sure)

Coconut 76 deg melts fast on your skin, feels oily and smooth, and smells like coconut. All of mine is bright white.
Palm is slower to melt on your skin, seems a bit more sticky to me and doesn't smell like coconut. The white is closer to ivory in my collection.

thank you guys... the oil i have is rather ivory than white, it does not smell at all yet it melts so fast and freezes very slowly. i used it in this CP recipe:
- almond oil :50 gms - "coconut oil" : 70 gms - olive oil: 250 gms - rice bran oil 50 gms - sesame oil: 30 gm. and i got something rather sticky than butter feeling and looks this translucent. is this normal? if so how much time do you think this should cure?

20150516_160346.jpg

Last edited:
That is a very "soft" recipe with a lot of mono-unsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids. It's more extreme in that regard than anything I'd make, so I have doubts about it. But what I know for sure is that you can't expect it to firm up quickly. It's acting normally considering the oils that were used.

Last edited:
That is a very "soft" recipe with a lot of mono-unsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids. It's more extreme in that regard than anything I'd make, so I have doubts about it. But what I know for sure is that you can't expect it to firm up quickly. It's acting normally considering the oils that were used.

Oh! this is a good point! though it looks even softer than plain castile. So you suggest that for next time i add to this recipe either beewax or more coconut oil?

thank you guys... the oil i have is rather ivory than white, it does not smell at all yet it melts so fast and freezes very slowly. i used it in this CP recipe:

- almond oil :50 gms - "coconut oil" : 70 gms - olive oil: 250 gms - rice bran oil 50 gms - sesame oil: 30 gm. and i got something rather sticky than butter feeling and looks this translucent. is this normal? if so how much time do you think this should cure?

I'm curious, have you thought of lard or tallow to harden your soap? Perhaps reduce OO by 50 g and replace with one of those (my favorite is tallow)? It may give enough hardness to the soap without changing the overall balance & texture. I know some people are vegan, but since you mentioned beeswax in a later post, I didn't think you fell into that category. Although, you may not like animal fats in your soaps for other reasons. Just tossing an idea out, not judging.

I'm curious, have you thought of lard or tallow to harden your soap? Perhaps reduce OO by 50 g and replace with one of those (my favorite is tallow)? It may give enough hardness to the soap without changing the overall balance & texture. I know some people are vegan, but since you mentioned beeswax in a later post, I didn't think you fell into that category. Although, you may not like animal fats in your soaps for other reasons. Just tossing an idea out, not judging.
Teresa you gave me wonderful tips here! I don't yet really feel comfortable using animal products, though bees products in our culture still remains vegan, so i guess i will for the hoey wax.

Thanx everybody :*

Teresa you gave me wonderful tips here! I don't yet really feel comfortable using animal products, though bees products in our culture still remains vegan, so i guess i will for the hoey wax.

I'm glad it helped. I hope you reconsider the tallow, though. I started with 100% lard soap. I bought some beef fat and rendered it myself. I liked the process and have been doing it and using tallow in each batch since. It gives my soap a nice texture and hardness. I also use castor oil in every batch. The other oils vary. I choose not to use palm for environmental reasons. It's funny. I'll eat animals but save the forests. Nope. Nothing wrong with my logic. (RME)

Actually bee products are not vegan. They are usually considered vegetarian, depending on the person.

Back