essential oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, all! a few days (probably a week) ago, i came across a post with a ".gov" address for essential oils. I for the life of me, cannot find it now. The government website was in very ugly list form with a buttload of essential oils listed. Does anyone know where that post is? thanx in advance!

Hi, all! a few days (probably a week) ago, i came across a post with a ".gov" address for essential oils. I for the life of me, cannot find it now. The government website was in very ugly list form with a buttload of essential oils listed. Does anyone know where that post is? thanx in advance!

Many results come up if I do a Google search for (US) .gov sites listing essential oils, but here is one that one might call ugly, from the CFR title 21:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=182.20
But what do you mean a 'post'? Do you mean a post on a thread here on SMF?

Perhaps if you could review your browser history for the last week or so, you could find the link to the page you were reading.

Also you can use the advance search function here at SMF and indicate a date 'newer than' if you recall when the post you want to find was dated. Also you could look in the subforum you think the thread was in and review each thread you recall reading recently. If you recall the name of the member who created the post you want to find, you can search for post they using key words.

I would caution against taking this list at face value regarding the claims that these oils are GRAS. For instance, this list includes cinnamon leaf EO as GRAS, but further research will show warnings about the use of cinnamon leaf EO, which would be of specific note if you were thinking of using it in soap or other body care products:

This oil may interact with certain drugs, it may inhibit blood clotting, cause skin sensitization, mucous membrane irritation, and may contain safrole. Before using topically, perform a small patch test on your inner forearm or back by applying a small quantity of diluted essential oil and apply a bandage. Wash the area if you experience any irritation.

I would caution against taking this list at face value regarding the claims that these oils are GRAS. For instance, this list includes cinnamon leaf EO as GRAS, but further research will show warnings about the use of cinnamon leaf EO, which would be of specific note if you were thinking of using it in soap or other body care products:

This oil may interact with certain drugs, it may inhibit blood clotting, cause skin sensitization, mucous membrane irritation, and may contain safrole. Before using topically, perform a small patch test on your inner forearm or back by applying a small quantity of diluted essential oil and apply a bandage. Wash the area if you experience any irritation.
Good point. Another point is that that list in the Code of Federal Regulations (21CFR182.20 ) is for Food for Human Consumption, not personal care products.

GRAS = Generally Recognized as Safe for intended use, within the meaning of section 409 of the Act
the Act = Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act

Back