Essential Oil Weeping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyJoe

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to the site and have only been making soap for a year and a half. I have had some decent success and sell wholesale and make soap for a couple of shops. One shop I make soap for provides her own essential oils and I provide the soap. We have run in to a problem with her soaps getting the DOS and also weeping and sticky orange sap like oil. All of my other soaps including the ones I sell at farmers markets and on line have not had this problem. The only difference in her soaps is the formula. I add a small amount of Shea butter and a small amount of grapeseed oil. I use essential oils from the same supplier and have not had an issue.
Any Ideas? I think it's a humidity issue..but not sure. Will keeping the soap in glass jars help...? Hmm.'
Thanks in advance.

Grapeseed oil has a very short shelf life, so it's prone to rancidity.

Are you sure it's the eo weeping? If so, can I ask where you get the eo's? Plus, how much eo are you using?

No. I'm Not sure it's the EOs weeping. Would the grapeseed go bad in a matter of weeks? and the amount depends..anywhere between 1 to 3 oz to a 3 pound batch. Usually close to 2oz. I have noticed though that the unscented bars are not weeping.

Did you get the grapeseed oil from the store? If so, it's hard to tell how long it's been sitting on the shelf. Actually even if you get it from an online supplier, it's hard to tell how long it's been sitting around, it's just that they usually have quicker turnover.

If you soak up the oil in some paper towel or something & sniff it, does it smell strongly like the eo?

Honestly, 2 oz for 3 lbs is pretty strong.

You're calculating the shea butter & grapeseed into your recipe, right? You're not just adding it without running it all through a lye calculator?

Yeah I think some of them are pretty strong but that is how the store owner likes it. I have added everything in to the soap calc and checked multiple times. I dont superfat at all! I'm pretty convinced it is a humidity issue. I forgot to tell you I live in Fort Lauderdale and even though the Air is on the store owner likes to keep the door open. I have convinced her to put them in jars. Maybe if I put a layer of rice on the bottom of the jar that will help too.

I'd superfat at least 5% otherwise you run the risk of having them being lye heavy. Which I forgot to ask, did you check the liquid to see if it zapped?
Also, I wouldn't over do it on the eo's no matter if the store owner likes it or not because some eo's can be quite irritating at high amounts and if someone decides to sue, you will be the one held responsible, not the store owner.

Thanks for the help...The woman that owns the store is an aroma therapist and knows EOs like the back of her hand. Her Mom is one too. She keeps a check on the irritants. I am 99% convinced it is a Humidity issue but I am going to cut out the grapeseed and see how that goes. Thanks again

Yeah I think some of them are pretty strong but that is how the store owner likes it. I have added everything in to the soap calc and checked multiple times. I dont superfat at all! I'm pretty convinced it is a humidity issue. I forgot to tell you I live in Fort Lauderdale and even though the Air is on the store owner likes to keep the door open. I have convinced her to put them in jars. Maybe if I put a layer of rice on the bottom of the jar that will help too.

If you suspect moisture, you might consider silica gel packs. http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-1-Ounce-Moisture-Absorbing-Indicating/dp/B001UYEBNW/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1359258067&sr=8-14&keywords=humidity+packs

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back