essential oil game

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deafsoaper

Reaction score
I'm curious about everybody here in the essential oil world... thought to throw you guys a game ... if you are forced to pick one blend for each scent category, what would it be? the best in your opinion of each type

I hope I got every category or need to change a category .. let me know and will update

Woodsy
Herbal
Floral
Citrus
Fruity
Fresh

Last edited:
Gosh I love blends. But don't blends normally have more than one category yes? I love blends in all the categories. Let me get my blends out and will post some blends with each category. This is fun!
nah.. like citrus for example... could do like orange and patchouli with ratio like 60/40.. it got more of citrus overall scent then it a citrus... you know what i mean?

give us your favourite for each one

Woodsy: Cedarwood ( not too expensive!), Patchouli
Herbal: I wouldn't have thought of cardamom but saw @bwtapestry had written it above. If I tried it I think it would be my favourite. I love anise - is that herbal? Don't like rosemary, tea tree, eucalyptus etc at all.
Floral: Rose geranium. Not too old fashioned and smells great ( the one I use is very strong with good scent retention)
Citrus: Litsea Cubeba - it's the only citrus that holds in my experience
Fruity: I don't think I have any fruit EOs ( except citrus). only FOs
Fresh: Spearmint, lemongrass, litsea

Blends (percentages approx):
( I submitted this one to EO calc but they haven't published it yet): Patchouli, anise, cinnamon leaf (90/5/5)
Lemongrass and Litsea (50/50)
Patchouli and Orange (70/30)
Lavender and Anise (75/25)

Woodsy: Cedarwood ( not too expensive!), Patchouli
Herbal: I wouldn't have thought of cardamom but saw @bwtapestry had written it above. If I tried it I think it would be my favourite. I love anise - is that herbal? Don't like rosemary, tea tree, eucalyptus etc at all.
Floral: Rose geranium. Not too old fashioned and smells great ( the one I use is very strong with good scent retention)
Citrus: Litsea Cubeba - it's the only citrus that holds in my experience
Fruity: I don't think I have any fruit EOs ( except citrus). only FOs
Fresh: Spearmint, lemongrass, litsea

Blends (percentages approx):
( I submitted this one to EO calc but they haven't published it yet): Patchouli, anise, cinnamon leaf (90/5/5)
Lemongrass and Litsea (50/50)
Patchouli and Orange (70/30)
Lavender and Anise (75/25)
anise is intriguing to lavender... whats the scent smell like?

whats high attitude lavender? better than 40/42?
40/42 is standardized for the industry.
All other lavender essential oils can vary year to year depending on location, climate, harvesting, processing, etc. just like varietal wines -- one year's vintage may be better or worse than the previous year's.
I don't remember which supplier it is, but one of them carries something like a dozen lavenders from different countries.

40/42 is standardized for the industry.
All other lavender essential oils can vary year to year depending on location, climate, harvesting, processing, etc. just like varietal wines -- one year's vintage may be better or worse than the previous year's.
I don't remember which supplier it is, but one of them carries something like a dozen lavenders from different countries.
oh wow.. thats alot of different lavenders

lavender/anise is your favourite lavender combo?

Woodsy - Sandalwood
Herbal - Tea tree (i honestly really don't like herbal EOs that much. Personal preference I guess)
Floral - Rose Geranium, ylang ylang, lavender, rose absolute (although it's expensive, so i use rose geranium in place of it)
Citrus - Sweet Orange, lemon, neroli
Fruity - Sweet orange and lemon again
Fresh - Peppermint

lavender/anise is your favourite lavender combo?
Nope. But it sells well. I prefer the single oil but, honestly? I've yet to find that perfect blend that smells just like my hand smells after caressing the lavender that I grew in a container outside my office window years ago.

NOTE: I made single note lavender GM soap for a wholesale customer for 10 years. It was their top seller. I'm retired now. Hard for even me to believe, I've never made a lavender scented soap for personal use. Picky, picky, picky. ;)

I’m a newbie to this field, so pardon my naïve queries. I have all the above ingredients, but @Kaolin Clay. Any suggestions for replacement?

Back