Essential Oil for Pumpkin Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know of a combination of essential oils that would somewhat mimic pumpkin pie? I found some molds that look like pumpkins and I used a recipe that has pumpkin in it. I'm just not sure how to create that smell..I think orange, clove, nutmeg and cinnamon but I know they can be tricky for skin. I'm one of of those who like to stay with essential oils as my family prefers. I live in a hippy dippy town and "natural" is preferred, so when I do sell- not for awhile, I'll be able to use . I know that the EOs don't last as long, etc. so find it a challenge but for now I'd like to try. I've been making soap out of goat milk for the past two years since I have goats. I've never tried water. Thanks!

I’m pretty sure a basic pumpkin pie spice is : cinnamon, clove, allspice, nutmeg

im not sure I’d want those EOs close to my skin but you are on the right track for the blend. I’m pretty sure they all accelerate, so you’ll have to work fast and keep colors simple

@BattleGnome thank you! I tried the unscented recipe in the mold only using two colors - no designs. Today I’ll try the scents with it. I know orange eventually dissipates which I kinda want..but not totally... I have a lot to learn about how essential oils blend , last, etc. I’d like to come up with a few basic scents besides lavender and cedar wood lol. Patience is hard when making soap!

combination of essential oils that would somewhat mimic pumpkin pie?
PUMPKIN SPICE ESSENTIAL OIL BLENDS
https://www.lovingessentialoils.com/blogs/diy-recipes/pumpkin-spice-essential-oil-blends

I know that the EOs don't last as long, etc. so find it a challenge
When I first started soaping in 2004 I used EOs exclusively. I was dismayed when the scents dissipated in about 6 months or so. Then I learned about ways to "stick" the fragrance. Whether using single-notes or blends, it's best to become acquainted with TOP, MIDDLE & BASE NOTES to create blends. Base notes are good for anchoring blends but there are also a few EOs known as "anchors" that are useful. Example:

ZANY’S BLIMEY
1 part lemon EO
2 parts lime EO
1 part litsea cubeba EO <<< Anchor for Citrus Blends
Great in LS; all natural cleaning products. Use 1 tsp. blend to 1 Tbls. Polysorbate 80 in liquid soap. I have this at my kitchen sink. Goodbye onions & garlic!

TIP: Cinnamon & Clove are known "heaters", "accelerators" and "skin irritants". I've found that this combo used at low % may eliminate all 3 negatives.
Mix 1 part Clove Bud EO + 3 parts Cinnamon Bark EO then add 1 part of this to your blend.
Store in an amber brown glass dropper bottle until needed. I found that "bud" and "bark" are better than the "leaf" type in both Clove and Cinnamon EOs.

I have a lot to learn about how essential oils blend, last, etc. I’d like to come up with a few basic scents besides lavender and cedar wood lol.
For what it's worth, I spent my second year of soap making learning about essential oils. Most important is learning about Safety and IFRA Standards. Next, You'll find many tried & true blends on either Aromatherapy sites or sites that sell essential oils. In general, those sites are geared to either Fragrant blends for other than soap or Therapeutic use and not so much for use in soap.

Loving Essential Oils linked above has beaucoup blends for non-soap applications. It would be worth your while to explore links in the top menu.

I just posted this thread for your enjoyment and hopefully edification: ;)

ESSENTIAL OIL EDUCATION
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/essential-oils-education.81265/HAPPY SOAPING!
happy-feet-penguin.gif

I just posted this thread for your enjoyment and hopefully edification: ;)

ESSENTIAL OIL EDUCATION
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/essential-oils-education.81265/HAPPY SOAPING! View attachment 50386

thank you! I hope I’m using this way of replying correctly. I’ll be reading all of that today. I appreciate it. A year of learning essential oils?! I wish there was a way I could just absorb everything at once! And I wish I’d started sooner. But better late than never I guess. I want to be good like the rest of you who have spent so much time learning. The more I learn the more I learn I need to learn more lol

thank you! I hope I’m using this way of replying correctly.
You're welcome! Yes, you did good, Basil. TIP: While in "Reply" mode, you can edit the block of text down to a phrase, sentence or two, or whatever that you're replying to. ;)

I make pumpkin soap with cinnamon and clove. You don't need much - they are strong scents - and keep the levels low because they are skin irritants. The scents stick well. I have some bars left that I made over a year ago and they still smell fantastic. Clove tends to seize so you may want to do it hot process.

Back