Essential Depot Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houseofwool

Reaction score
I have been happily using ED's food grade lye for a year now and until recently haven't had any issues.

I was making a batch of soap the other day and found this in the lye. When I contacted ED, I was told that moisture got into the bottle. This isn't the first time I have found dark grey flecks in their lye recently and I am wondering if anyone else has seen something similar.

IMG_0838.jpg

I've found one or two small clumps on occasion and believe moisture to be the problem. My supply is stored on a shelf in the garage and Florida is not known for its dry climate. I attributed the few clumps to that possibility and blew it off. My clumps weren't gray though. Perhaps buying in larger quantities might not be the best idea for me. All of my lye purchases have been from Essential Depot.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so concerned if the clump was white. The fact that it is grey is what worries me.

I would send them your picture so they can get a good understanding of what you've found. When did you purchase yours?

I did send them the picture and they told me it is moisture, which seems like BS to me. I purchased it within the last 2 months.

I don't think that you should worry. They make/distribute allot of lye and production errors happen. Maybe just a mouse who took a wrong turn. I would send them a pic though. It might help them with their quality control and they may want to compensate you for your worry.

Back