Error when viewing the Likes

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Steve85569

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the upper right hand corner of this page is your screen name and a red ( now) square. If you click on it you can find out who quoted you or "liked" your post and which post.
The link is currently down so you can't clear the little red square. I know you have one because I just "liked" your last post on this thread.:):twisted:

Steve

DeeAnna

Reaction score
I must have turned off this "like" notification some time in the hoary past, because I don't see the box you describe nor can I find in my account settings where I can turn this feature back on.

At the top of this page, I see my screen name and a number next to it that tells me if I have any PM's to read. But that's it -- no box.

I am now no longer clueless, however -- thank you for the kind explanation, Steve. :)

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
DeeAnna, what happens if you click directly on your screen name, or the number right next to your screen name?

This is what always happens for me when I do so: a small 2-toned green box will pop up right underneath my screen name. The top part of the box is a dark green color, and it says "Notifications". The bottom part of the small box is a lighter green color, and if anyone has recently PM'd me, and/or 'liked' any of my posts, and/or quoted me, it will show up in that lighter green box.

For example, if someone recently liked one of my posts, the light green part of the box under 'Notifications' will say, 'New Likes" with a number next to it of how many new likes I have. If I click on it, it will list out the latest of my posts that people have recently liked, and also list the names of those who liked them........well, at least that's what should happen....

Starting yesterday and continuing on into today, I keep getting a 404 error message when I click on 'New Likes'. Interestingly, though, I'm still able to see my PMs and also whoever quoted me, but it's driving a bit batty because I have 9 'New Likes' and can't 'see' them. :twisted:

IrishLass :)

DeeAnna

Reaction score
"... DeeAnna, what happens if you click directly on your screen name, or the number right next to your screen name?..."

In either case, I see a drop down list titled "Notifications." If I have PM's waiting to be read, the number will be however many unread PM's there are. If all are read, the number is a zero and the drop down list will say "no notifications". I don't see the "new likes" that you describe. I really do think it's some kind of setting that I changed a long time ago....

I'm talking about what I see in my internet browser, by the way. I know Tapatalk and the SMF mobile app don't do "likes".

Last edited:

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am like Dee, I turned off the notifications for likes right after I started to post quite a bit. Now all I get is quotes and PM's.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
Gent -- I use Tapatalk occasionally when I'm on my Kindle Fire, but haven't seen that I could "like" posts. Sometimes apps work a little differently on a kindle than on other mobile devices. Or maybe I'm just oblivious .. won't be the first time, as DH can tell you. :)

KC -- So maybe do you remember where you changed this in the account settings? If so, would you take pity on me and tell me where to look?

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gent -- I use Tapatalk occasionally when I'm on my Kindle Fire, but haven't seen that I could "like" posts. Sometimes apps work a little differently on a kindle than on other mobile devices. Or maybe I'm just oblivious .. won't be the first time, as DH can tell you. :)

KC -- So maybe do you remember where you changed this in the account settings? If so, would you take pity on me and tell me where to look?
This took me few moments to find again.

Click on My Account
Choose Edit Forum Options
At the bottom there are several options.

This is not accessible from the Control Panel

Capture.jpg

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
nor can I find in my account settings where I can turn this feature back on.
It's tricky, but here is how to find it: click on the 'My Account' icon at the top of the page, then scroll down to 'Control Panel' and click on 'Edit Forum Options'. A page will then pop up that will let you edit your user options. Scroll all the way down that page to where it says, 'Profile Options'. The 6th option down will let you choose whether you want to be notified when your posts are liked or not. If you choose to edit anything, just click on the 'Submit' button at the bottom of the page when done.

Edited to add: Oh, dash it all! Someone beat me to it again! lol

DeeAnna

Reaction score
I had looked at the "Edit options" page via the Control Panel several times and obviously didn't see the settings that I was looking for. It's really confusing that there are two forms that look quite similar at the top, but are really quite different overall.

Anyways, thank you, KC and IL, for the help! You set me straight.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I had looked at the "Edit options" page via the Control Panel several times and obviously didn't see the settings that I was looking for. It's really confusing that there are two forms that look quite similar at the top, but are really quite different overall.

Anyways, thank you, KC and IL, for the help! You set me straight.

So....... did you turn it back on? :razz:

DeeAnna

Reaction score
Yep, I did! I remember turning it off some time ago (along with notifications such as when someone includes my name in a post, etc.) because it was really annoying. Maybe I'll feel differently about it now, so I'm giving it a fresh try.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
WooHoo! The Likes notifications are working properly again!

Now I can see which of my posts were liked and who liked them!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWtUVDG5M1w[/ame]

Latest posts