Err, old oils? (pics added)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxurious bubbles

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my 2nd batch is getting DOS. Very upsetting! The recipe had 45% OO, so I'm assuming that is why. I opened a new bottle of OO for this soap. I guess it was sitting on the shelf too long, ugh. I used the light instead of extra virgin. I read the lighter OO was better in soap, but maybe people don't buy it as much so it sits. Any ideas? Maybe it was another oil? I also used coconut, palm, castor oil and avocado.

So, are there expiration dates on OO? Is there anyway to know if it's old before you soap?

:(

I have read threads here about a soaper who only got DOS in her castile soap , she figured it was the olive oil she used . I just checked my OO jug it is good until Aug 1010 , so some of them have a date label , which I never knew before I went and looked 8) .

Kitn

Re: Err, old oils?

luxurious bubbles said:
I'm pretty sure my 2nd batch is getting DOS. Very upsetting! The recipe had 45% OO, so I'm assuming that is why. I opened a new bottle of OO for this soap. I guess it was sitting on the shelf too long, ugh. I used the light instead of extra virgin. I read the lighter OO was better in soap, but maybe people don't buy it as much so it sits. Any ideas? Maybe it was another oil? I also used coconut, palm, castor oil and avocado.

So, are there expiration dates on OO? Is there anyway to know if it's old before you soap?

I am unsure why everyone always assumes it is the olive oil. I make all my soaps with very high olive oil, up to 65% and have never had DOS. I have some very old Castile in the linen closet in my very humid bathroom, no DOS. Castile is one of the oldest purest forms of soap and I have never heard or read anywhere of it being prone to DOS. So I am just not sure I would be so fast to get on board with thinking that it is the olive oil, old or not.

That is good to hear that OO might not be the culprit. I also used coconut, palm, castor and avocado. They were all new. I need to post some pics. Maybe it's not DOS. Thanks for taking time to tell me your thoughts on this. Being such a new soaper; I truly appreciate that!

luxurious bubbles said:
That is good to hear that OO might not be the culprit. I also used coconut, palm, castor and avocado. They were all new. I need to post some pics. Maybe it's not DOS. Thanks for taking time to tell me your thoughts on this. Being such a new soaper; I truly appreciate that!

What about the avocado oil? My olive/avocado bar has orange spots, but it doesn't stink. Not sure if it is DOS, but spots aren't normal! I see that your oil was new. So was mine and I got it from Whole Foods. hmmmm

luxurious bubbles said:
Bubbles, everyone on this board at one time or another will touch your soap making experience with the knowledge and generosity of time and advice. And it won't be long before you'll be helping the new newbies.

If someone wants to send me a pure olive oil piece of soap I'll put it in a bag of pure oxygen for a couple weeks and we can see if it developes DOS. I only need a very small piece.

PS. .1% Rosemay Oleoresin Extract does a great job at preventing DOS. And at such a small percentage, it's also very inexpensive.

If it's only your second batch, and you have never seen dos before up close - maybe what you are looking at is the stearic spots that palm oil can leave, which doesn't effect soap quality. Can you post a picture of it?

Milla said:
luxurious bubbles said:

What about the avocado oil? My olive/avocado bar has orange spots, but it doesn't stink. Not sure if it is DOS, but spots aren't normal! I see that your oil was new. So was mine and I got it from Whole Foods. hmmmm

Mine doesn't stink yet either. I also used a different brand of coconut oil. I will be watching to see what happens with time. It isn't on all the bars... yet.

Healinya said:
If it's only your second batch, and you have never seen dos before up close - maybe what you are looking at is the stearic spots that palm oil can leave, which doesn't effect soap quality. Can you post a picture of it?

Here they are. They are a bit hard to see because I use a regular kitchen knife to cut. I colored them with raspberry tea.

DSC_0562.jpg

This one is the worse so far

DSC_0561.jpg

Maybe its the resolution on my monitor or my eyes, but all I'm seeing is beautiful soap.

It doesn't appear to me to be DOS . DOS starts as small orange spots that look rotten . I can't see the soap close up , but I don't see round orange spots.

Kitn

Ok here its is, I can see it clearly on my monitor, and yes its bright orange and spotted!

Hmm..It looks like this is Hot process, yes?
And it seems concentrated on some harder pieces that didnt seem to be absorbed with the other oils. The only think i can think of was the avocado oil used, hmm...what solid fats oils did you use?

dos.jpg

I've never used tea to color soap - I would have guessed that there's milk in there. It also looks like the natural color that vanilla fo will cause. I always use avocado oil - I even have a batch that I am keeping an eye on that I made with 30%. This link has popped up many times, but here it is again - http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm I found it very helpful. According to soapnaturally.org - avocado has a 2%-11% unsaponifiables, unsaponifiables are usually "phenols, tocopherols, triterpenes, steroids, sterols, and hydrocarbons like squalene and alcohols.. which are natural in the plants and come out with the fatty acids in the processing of the oil." I haven't figured out which (if any) of those above items can affect the appearence of the finished soap - but I suppose it's possible. Here is a picture of what my dos batch looks like - I made it about a year ago - these spots showed up at around six months (it's why I don't use Crisco at all)

SSPX0619.jpg

1 - what else did you use in the soap? FO not entirely mixed in can do that, as can honey or even milk.
2 - did you HP your soap? because if you scrape the sides, the whiter bits can look like that if they are mixed back in
3 - how long ago did you make this soap?
4 - it doesn't look like DOS to me. but I could be wrong.

BTW: In my experience, it's my castiles (90-100% olive oil) that the most likely to get DOS.

MyNaturesArt said:
Ok here its is, I can see it clearly on my monitor, and yes its bright orange and spotted!

Hmm..It looks like this is Hot process, yes?
And it seems concentrated on some harder pieces that didnt seem to be absorbed with the other oils. The only think i can think of was the avocado oil used, hmm...what solid fats oils did you use?

dos.jpg

Nope, I have only done cold process. I also used coconut, palm, castor oil and avocado.

carebear said:
1 - what else did you use in the soap? FO not entirely mixed in can do that, as can honey or even milk.
2 - did you HP your soap? because if you scrape the sides, the whiter bits can look like that if they are mixed back in
3 - how long ago did you make this soap?
4 - it doesn't look like DOS to me. but I could be wrong.

BTW: In my experience, it's my castiles (90-100% olive oil) that the most likely to get DOS.

1. I used Pomegranate FO from WSP along with coconut, palm, castor oil and avocado. I added 8 bags of tea in with the lye/water for the color.

2. Nope, CP. I have tried HP yet.

3. I made the soap 7-13-09. It's about 6 weeks old.

4. I sure hope you're right. I guess only time will tell. Many of the bars have no spots at all. There is some hope.

Latest posts

Back