Equipment Question(s)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read here and other places that HDPE and PP5 are the only two plastics one should use to mix lye in, and I agree totally, but I've also read that HDPE is the only one to use for storing a lye/water mix that is not going to be used right away (as in masterbatching).

Thanks for the links, Nevada - lots of good info there.

I do room temp soaping. I have a plastic pitcher for my lye, 4cup pyrex measuring cup for all of it together (i just do 1lb batches at a time). I have an extra measuring cup if i want to split it up. I should probably buy a plastic version so that i dont end up with exploded soap or anything like that.

I have a few stainless steel, stackable racks that i use for my curing soap. Its in my laundry room, which is open to another room so it doesnt get all humid from the dryer or anything.

I do room temp soaping. I have a plastic pitcher for my lye, 4cup pyrex measuring cup for all of it together (i just do 1lb batches at a time). I have an extra measuring cup if i want to split it up. I should probably buy a plastic version so that i dont end up with exploded soap or anything like that.

I have a few stainless steel, stackable racks that i use for my curing soap. Its in my laundry room, which is open to another room so it doesnt get all humid from the dryer or anything.

Jeremmy, please tell me. Do you cure your bars directly on your stainless steel racks, or do you put something between them.

Jeremmy, please tell me. Do you cure your bars directly on your stainless steel racks, or do you put something between them.

The three metals you should be worried about are zinc, aluminum, and magnesium. Stainless steel is not a problem while making the soap so it should not be a factor in curing.

I've read here and other places that HDPE and PP5 are the only two plastics one should use to mix lye in, and I agree totally, but I've also read that HDPE is the only one to use for storing a lye/water mix that is not going to be used right away (as in masterbatching).

Thanks for the links, Nevada - lots of good info there.

I read the last line of the paragraph "as in masterbating" not masterbatching. :oops:

I have 6oz yogurt cups, 4ea - 32oz plastic measuring cups, 2each 1 gallon buckets and 1ea 3 gallon bucket. Homemade wood molds (18"x3.5"X2.5") and my recipes are generally 54oz oil for a single loaf and doubled for 2 loaves.

OK, so I found a small SS mixing bowl that I will be using to mix my lye water, till I need to use a larger bowl. I have seen in videos some people mixing colors in Pyrex measuring cup. I assume cause the lye is still active, won't it still etch the glass? Or since the lye is mixed with the oils it won't make a difference.

OK, so I found a small SS mixing bowl that I will be using to mix my lye water, till I need to use a larger bowl. I have seen in videos some people mixing colors in Pyrex measuring cup. I assume cause the lye is still active, won't it still etch the glass? Or since the lye is mixed with the oils it won't make a difference.

The risk is probably insignificant if you are using it for color/lye mixing. I use plastic party cups for my color/lye mixture. There is no cleaning involved since I throw the cups away.

It will still etch the glass, yes, just at a slower rate, but it WILL still happen.

The risk is probably insignificant if you are using it for color/lye mixing. I use plastic party cups for my color/lye mixture. There is no cleaning involved since I throw the cups away.
yeah I saw that on some vids too. I might do that also when I get into the coloring step.
It will still etch the glass, yes, just at a slower rate, but it WILL still happen.

OK, use Pyrex for microwaving the harder oils. No use with lye, or raw soap at all. GOTCHA

Latest posts

Back