Equipment Question(s)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a plastic pitcher that I had lying around forever and I have a silicone spoon dedicated for mixing lye and water. I measure everything in plastic measuring cups that I picked up at the dollar store just for soap making. My stick blender is dedicated and I picked it up at a thrift store for $4. I mix everything in either a plastic bucket or I have an enamel pot that I rarely use (hate having to check for scratches every time I use it).

Lotus - it's a rack that I bought powder coated (the superheated plastic coating). Probably got it at WM or Target.

The disposable plastic drink cups shouldn't be used for straight FO because it will eat through them. I've had it happen to me.

Lotus - it's a rack that I bought powder coated (the superheated plastic coating). Probably got it at WM or Target.

Oh! Hey, do you figure the regular metal rack I just bought from Target (I doubt it's stainless) will be okay for curing soap without something under them? I thought it was a cool idea, because it would let them breathe. But, I hope they don't end up rusting up the bars or something. Not that I would put a wet gooey bar on them. : )

The disposable plastic drink cups shouldn't be used for straight FO because it will eat through them. I've had it happen to me.

Glad you made this point. I only use them for weighing out my dry lye beads and also for mixing my coconut milk and honey. I don't use them to mix my lye in or for weighing out FO.

I use the yogurt cups for FO. They work great and don't break down from the FO. Oh, and I also heard that paper cups will dissolve from FO so don't use those either.

Oh! Hey, do you figure the regular metal rack I just bought from Target (I doubt it's stainless) will be okay for curing soap without something under them? I thought it was a cool idea, because it would let them breathe. But, I hope they don't end up rusting up the bars or something. Not that I would put a wet gooey bar on them. : )

I've used the rubber or vinyl shelf lining mats with no adverse reactions. Lots of tiny holes for circulation and thick enough to prevent contact with metal surface of cooling racks.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but won't lye h2o mess up plastic containers? Isn't it too caustic? Is there no danger of the plastic leaching into the solution?

I've been using a SS pot with a 22oz glass beer bottle (bomber) to stir. I hold it by the neck and immerse the fat end...

I add my lye to a glass bowl (Anchor Hocking) I got for about five bucks at Walmart. Then I add my lye liquid to my oil-filled 12 qt. stainless steel Cuisinart stockpot I got for Christmas for soapmaking purposes - the gift givers are receiving soap in return. :)

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but won't lye h2o mess up plastic containers? Isn't it too caustic? Is there no danger of the plastic leaching into the solution?

I've been using a SS pot with a 22oz glass beer bottle (bomber) to stir. I hold it by the neck and immerse the fat end...

Nope, as long as it is HDPE, it's fine!

PP #5 or HDPE plastics have been tested and work fine. Glass is much more dangerous to use with lye.

I picked up some small HDPE paint buckets at Walmart today for the main mixing and have set aside another pitcher for mixing lye. It turns out we do have a ton of disposable cups (at least a hundred), so I will use those for measuring lye and blending my powdered colorants. I will continue to put my FOs in the small glass ramekins I use though.

I add my lye to a glass bowl (Anchor Hocking) I got for about five bucks at Walmart. Then I add my lye liquid to my oil-filled 12 qt. stainless steel Cuisinart stockpot I got for Christmas for soapmaking purposes - the gift givers are receiving soap in return. :)

Please consider switching to using a stainless steel or plastic (PP #5 or HDPE) pitcher for mixing up your lye solution. Glass etches over time from contact with lye which weakens the glass and can shatter at the least opportune time. Pyrex is not the same as it used to be. It is not borosilicate anymore. There have been a lot of reports of the glass shattering while in use and I know one soaper whose actually shattered while just sitting in the cabinet NOT in use.

Just because a well known B&B person does use it doesn't mean everyone should. If hers are borosilicate, great, but most likely are not.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/bummed-about-my-lye-explosion-16707/
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/lye-water-container-22658/

Not that I've ever heard of. I've used plastic for my lye for years, and I know that many people store their made-up lye solution in plastic pitchers and even empty laundry detergent bottles.

Please consider switching to using a stainless steel or plastic (PP #5 or HDPE) pitcher for mixing up your lye solution. Glass etches over time from contact with lye which weakens the glass and can shatter at the least opportune time. Pyrex is not the same as it used to be. It is not borosilicate anymore. There have been a lot of reports of the glass shattering while in use and I know one soaper whose actually shattered while just sitting in the cabinet NOT in use.

Just because a well known B&B person does use it doesn't mean everyone should. If hers are borosilicate, great, but most likely are not.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/bummed-about-my-lye-explosion-16707/
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/lye-water-container-22658/

I didn't choose to use glass because of this B&B person you mention - who are you referring to? *confused* I know of more soapmaking people that use lye with glass than plastic. Not on this forum, though, which may be the difference? I haven't been here long though I've read posts on here for awhile. Oh, and this is NOT Pyrex. :-| And Anchor-Hocking is an American company (not sure about Pyrex, I don't have as much glassware as I'd like). :)

For the glass for measuring FO's and EO's you can use baby food jars, or any other small glass container you can clean out from previous use.

For lye, there are loads of things on the internet about accidents with glass after having used a while and the glass shattering. So, it does, in fact etch, when you see gang tags etched in glass, they used a lye concentration in a pen type thing. I also think it is good to replace your plastic container from time to time. And keep lye solution in the sink if inside.

Also wanted to remind everyone to wear eye protection. Goggles by all means, and I think BB has the best choice with the onion goggles as they have some padding around the eyes. I also purchased an inexpensive face shield on Amazon last week to go over that, as I found that goggles and paper face mask are not enough if the batter splashes. That's just me and being short and too close to the mixture.

I found that the big rubber gloves are best. The ones you get in the pharmacy are porous, water gets through, so soap gets through. If allergic to latex there are alternatives, again Amazon helped with that for chemical barrier gloves.

In addition, long sleeves. Amazon again has disposable lab coats (you don't have to throw it out after first use), since I don't have a man around to grab a used light weight long sleeve shirt from for summer, I got a lab coat to protect the arms from any soap getting on the arms when playing with tops or colors.

Just some thoughts.

Goggles and rubber gloves are pretty cheap and very necessary. I've seen a picture of one lady who didn't wear goggles while mixing lye. Her eyes were exposed to the caustic fumes and were really red. She said they hurt really bad but fortunately she recovered.

I did spend some bucks on a good NIOSH approved respirator. I first got it because I make candles and over the years I noticed I started getting a 'smokers' type cough on days I made candles. Since I had quit smoking and was concerned about my lungs healing no way did I want to expose myself to toxic fumes. Then when I started making soap I naturally just started wearing the respirator so I would not inhale the fumes when working with lye. Its a good investment.

As far as long sleeves and pants I just wear old clothes. Always long sleeves and long pants legs and also old non slip type footwear.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tru5n-Xi9us[/ame]

I was actually wondering about that, because I just bought some of those from Target for actual cookies, but they have a nonstick coating and I find myself wondering if the nonstick coating would react with the soap.

I was actually thinking bout grabbing some from joanns, but they currently have a sale going on so you vant get em 50% off right now :-(. My soap is just sitting on top of my dresser on parchment paper right now lol.

Those are cool! Did I hear her right? Those are at Joann's fabric shops? There is one the next town over from me. I can stack those on my shelving units to make more room for curing soap. Where do you get the coupon?

Does anyone have the link for those?

Latest posts

Back