EOs!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandnew

Reaction score
Access to fragrances isn't easy (live overseas)so I've been trying to scent my soaps with EOs but.....it's not easy when you can't sniff before you buy!!! cypress may sound airy and lovely but I idn't find it particularly great when I got it home and smelled it! I know it's a matter of personal taste but can anyone give any general advice on mixing EOs other than the base notes, med, hi etc.... how to blend the smells...just trail and error? I thought I'd had a great blend but after the soap was finished I could not stand the smell!!! It's a great lathering salt bar and my daughter thinks it smells a bit 'fishy' ...yum!....any advice? has that happened to anyone else?

sorry! Also, you know it's not rec'd for pregnant women etc..to use EOs? do you think they retain their qualities in the soap? Should I be careful about giving the soap to pregnant friends?

You can get an idea of what a blend will smell like by putting a drop of scents onto q-tips or paper and putting them into baggies to let the scents blend, then sniff... Minimal waste.

There is a discussion about blends in the aromatherapy forum.

From my experience, more often than not a blend that smells nice will smell nice in soap aswell.

Other times it doesn't and there you go by trial and error. Plus there are some EOs which are known to morph during the cure.

Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with tree based scents. This is a rule of mine: if it comes from a tree - especially the wooden part, I know I have to tiptoe around it.

And finally, the same EO bought from different suppliers can make a huge difference.

I'd be curious what your stinky blend was. So that I know what to avoid in the future.

I'd go with the q-tip blending method as suggested.

All EO's are not recommended for pregnant women for the same reason that if Tylenol or medicines, say to ask your doctor first. Even my daughter's infant tylenol says that pregnant women should ask their doctor first. It's because of "just in case" they could do something.

But there are some EO's that really are EO's that pregnant women should stay clear of. Like ones that help regulate menstruation, or have hormone-like qualities. Just like there are some that people with seizure disorders should steer clear of as well.

Here's a pretty good article on it
http://www.soapqueen.com/personal-rambl ... mp-safe-2/

But, personally I tend to go with the "just in case" people, since that little miracle in a pregnant women's body is more important than good smelling B & B products. I figure why chance it if it's not necessary?

My last EO blend (blend of 6 different EO) was first tested on soap balls made from unscented soap scraps. I then soaped (CP) these EO in in the same exact proportion. Some EO survived the soaping process better, but the scent was still awesome. Just not exactly the same.

I do something similar to the q-tip method but I use little perfume vials. You can get them from many suppliers like save on scents and I think elements has them too. I use drops for my proportions, cap the vial, and then let it sit for awhile. I keep notes as I modify. I have a little library of scent vials that I can then reference if I need to refresh my memory.

Latest posts

Back