EOs vs FOs....

Discussion in 'Beginners Soap Making Forum' started by MGM, Jan 11, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 11, 2019 #1

MGM

MGM

MGM

I used to think EOs were stronger/had more staying power scent-wise, but now I'm learning that no, it takes just as much of an (expensive!) EO to scent soap as the cheaper FOs. I am therefore now leaning toward using my EOs almost exclusively in my balms and lotions and such, as their (alleged) therapeutic qualities can really shine there. Between going through saponification and being a wash-off product, I wonder how much therapeutic benefit (beyond scent) is really left most of the time from an EO. Thoughts on this?

2. Jan 11, 2019 #2

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

You are correct, most EO's scent will fade within months. I've only had about 4-5 stick past a 6 month period after cutting.

I personally don't think any therapeutic properties other than the little bit of scent comes through the saponification process. However, I don't use EO's much so others can chime in on that.

3. Jan 11, 2019 #3

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Honestly i was never a believer of EO having any therapeutic effect. But even if they did, other than the smell i dont believe anything would survive saponification. So to me using EO is more about the label appeal and that some FO’s are not quite the same smell as the EO.

4. Jan 11, 2019 #4

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

I do believe generally in their therapeutic effects (pre-lye), but the EOs have to be 'medicinal quality', which most readily available ones aren't. For me, I will likely only use EOs because I avoid all possible artificial, man-made chemicals in my life and have read too much about chemical fragrances (unregulated, untested in combination, untested combined with other chemicals in the same product or additional beauty products [themselves having fragrance added], ad nauseum).

Since everyone says the EO scents don't last, if I ever choose to sell, I will make FO scented soaps upon request only, but won't use them myself.

5. Jan 11, 2019 #5

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

From anecdotal evidence, the anti-bacterial/fungal effects of Tea Tree EO, at least, seem to last in soap. My aunt swears by my Coffee Tea Tree Gardener's Soap, which is coffee (including grounds) and tea tree EO. She swears it keeps her from getting small infected scratches on her hands better than regular soap.

6. Jan 11, 2019 #6

Mica Hamilton

Mica Hamilton

Mica Hamilton

I’ve made a good few batches where the scents lasted beyond 6 months, I only use EO’s as I find FO’s tend to stink a bit of ‘lush’, I don’t sell at the moment but have no intention of using FO’s, I did buy one once as it was on offer but I had to throw the bottle away because I stank of sugar and chemical.

KiwiMoose likes this.
  7. Jan 11, 2019 #7

Chris_S

Chris_S

Chris_S

Where did you get this fo from? iv bought loads and never found they have an unpleasent scent they often smell much better in a product somewhat masked by the product itself i find sniffing straight from the bottle tends to smell over powering and at times unpleasant but yet that very same smell can be lovely in a soap or candle. Thats just what iv found personally though from what iv bought.

I think its personal opinion iv not had my eo soaps long enough to say if they stick around so they are unproven from my point of view. But the soaps that have fo in do smell stronger than the same aged eo soaps.

8. Jan 12, 2019 #8

Mica Hamilton

Mica Hamilton

Mica Hamilton

I agree, this debate it’s purely personal, I don’t use FO’s because I’ve always found them to have an aura of sugar and chemical, no matter the scent or usage rate. FO’s do last longer in soap as that’s what they’re designed to do, I just don’t like them and won’t have them in my house . I have a three year old peppermint that’s still smells strongly ‍♂️‍♂️

‘‘Tis what it is’