Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I can tell, "natural" means different things to different people. It's a losing battle to try to debate this kind of slippery concept.

As far as hexane in EOs -- that's news to me. Essential oils by definition are ONLY steam distilled or expressed (extracted with pressure). A so-called EO that's been solvent extracted is a "concrete", "absolute" or "oleoresin" not an EO.

Anyone selling this type of product as an "essential oil" is misleading the consumer. As far as solvent residues in these products, I don't know enough to have an opinion.

After selling for more that 15 years I have many customers that will only buy EO fragranced soap, particularly cold processed soap. It all depends on your customer base and what they want.

When buying the FOs, can I assume that they have the same note profile as their EO version?
Example, I mix rose EO with top note for other DIYs. Can I assume that I can buy the cheaper rose FO and combine it with a top note EO (or FO) to get the same or similar result?
Additionally, do FOs affect the color of soap?

Has anyone used the blends of EO and FO? Can't remember the website but they had 3 categories. EO, FO, and the blends of EO and FO.
Sparked my curiosity!

I have seen those at "The Handmade Studio" that is attached with Wholesale Supplies Plus. I just happen to live 20 minutes away from the company and I can go in to view the products and make purchases that way. You can learn which EO's and FO's that can compliment each other and blend them yourself. Their company has a scent wheel (like a color wheel except its for scents instead lol) that you can get that shows you combinations that work well. They have done the work for you when offering a blend. I have not been very interested in trying those. I have blended Bulgarian Lavender E.O. with Lavender F.O., ( big combo shocker there LOL!) because the combo seemed to help hold the wonderful scent of the Bulgarian Lavender better. I was wondering the same thing about those blends, but they seem to be a bit pricey.

When buying the FOs, can I assume that they have the same note profile as their EO version?
Example, I mix rose EO with top note for other DIYs. Can I assume that I can buy the cheaper rose FO and combine it with a top note EO (or FO) to get the same or similar result?
Not all fragrance oils are equal. Be sure to read the reviews before purchasing.:)

When buying the FOs, can I assume that they have the same note profile as their EO version? Every nose is different so that is a hard question to answer. Some people can't smell the difference while some others may be able to break down an FO mix to each of its notes. It really depends on how your nose behaves when it comes to perfume notes to a scent.
Example, I mix rose EO with top note for other DIYs. Can I assume that I can buy the cheaper rose FO and combine it with a top note EO (or FO) to get the same or similar result? You can do that if you feel it necessary or you can improve on the blend and make a unique product.
Additionally, do FOs affect the color of soap? Some can. FOs with vanillin in it are known to discolor many a soap product. Some vendors will tell you just how much vanillin is in an FO, to help you make an informed choice but you really should always try to read customer reviews as well.

Some FOs can discolour, yes. You need to read the reviews before deciding if you can work with each FO. I always mix FO and EO - as I said before the rose FO for example. I can't afford rose EO, and I'm not sure it would last long in CP soap anyway. So the FO with a Patchouli EO to anchor works very well.

When buying the FOs, can I assume that they have the same note profile as their EO version?...

I wouldn't make that assumption. FOs are usually blended fragrances, not single-note scents. I suppose a few might be single notes, but that's the exception to the rule. Most FOs are blends that are evocative of, say, roses, but I wouldn't assume a rose-type FO will perform or smell the same as a rose EO. You'll just have to experiment to see what works best for your nose.

I mean ... think about it ... the fragrance of essential oils aren't all alike either, so a blend that smells great to you with one lavender EO might not smell the same using another type of lavender EO. Spike lavender, lavendin, French lavender, high altitude lavenders smell different even though their scents contain many fragrance chemicals in common.

People have strong preferences for one of these EOs over the others. So throw FOs into the mix, and it gets ... interesting.

@KiwiMoose when you say you use a small percentage of patchouli (for example) to anchor a FO, what percentage do you use? I just got an order of EOs and am looking forward to trying them out.

I have found most of the soap makers here use EOs. I've decided to have 2 lines of soaps, one using FOs and micas and the other using EOs and clays.

I'm finding that blending EO & FO seems to work best for a fragrance that sticks. Interestingly, WSP has expanded their list of blends. I've tried 2 of them and really like them. Unfortunately they are both now "special order" only:

Bladderwrack Natural EO & FO Blend
This scent is awesome. Used in activated charcoal bar. One bar left. Two years and scent is still strong.
https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/store-search.aspx?FBK=Bladderwrack

PINK Natural EO & FO Blend
Smells like those pink school erasers OOB but soaps to a lovely floral scent, similar to peony to my nose. Used in ZNSC. Scent literally fills the curing room aka guest bedroom.
https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/pink-fragrance-oil-eo-fo-blend.aspx

See Recommendations Forum for List of 88 Blends
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/wsp-eo-fo-blends.78319/

According to what I'm reading here, the benefits of an EO don't survive the saponification process. So I'm a little curious... I don't particularly like lavender, but many people do. I do use it in soaps I use for summer though. The reason being that I live in the swamp. The lavender keeps the mosquitos away. And yes, it does work. I have noticed that it works better with EO than it does with FO. So if the benefits of EO don't survive, then how do you explain this? It seems to me that some benefits must survive.

Mosquitos have a sense of smell. That is the reason they choose certain people over others. Some plants are not a food source to them (the males drink from vegetation, females drink from animals to feed the eggs), so it makes perfect sense to me that they avoid the scent of those plants.

They both have different properties for proper use is really up to you. But I personally, use EO which is good for sensitive skins because it is 100% pure and natural though in FO there are hundreds of varieties.

They both have different properties for proper use is really up to you. But I personally, use EO which is good for sensitive skins because it is 100% pure and natural though in FO there are hundreds of varieties.
No offense but the best thing for sensitive skins is not to assume that case is the same. My daughter has very sensitive skin and I would not use EOs for her as they actually irritated her skin. I also won't use FOs with her unless neither of us have a reaction of any kind. I also point out that the words "pure" and "natural" are loaded terms that don't mean much, especially where safety is concerned. There are loads of things that are natural that can cause great harm to us, if they don't kill us first.

Latest posts

Back