EO v FO which is best?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerthMobility

Reaction score
Is there any advantage to using essential oils instead of fragrance oils in CP. It seems to me that as the majority of soaps finish up down the plug hole, that using the generally more expensive EO is simply a waste of money, or am I missing something?

Is there any advantage to using essential oils instead of fragrance oils in CP. It seems to me that as the majority of soaps finish up down the plug hole, that using the generally more expensive EO is simply a waste of money, or am I missing something?

Some people are into the natural angle. FOs work better on the average, and you would be particularly better off using FOs in CP if you can. Some EOs work much better than others in the cold process, but a large proportion of them morph in fragrance and/or fade too quickly. They often work better in applications where you can incorporate them after saponification, like transparent/MP soap, liquid soap or HP. Having said that, many people do use EOs in CP for that natural angle, but it's subject to the challenges I mentioned.

Speaking only for myself, I personally refuse to use EOs in my soap....well, all except for 10X orange EO, that is (I have a special soap that I make with it). Don't get me wrong, though- I have nothing against EOs and I often use some of them in leave-on things, but I so consider them as precious medicines to be used sparingly and judiciously that I'd feel I was being wasteful if I were to exclusively use only EOs in my soap, especially when I consider how much plant material is used up to make them. :shock: So, other than the orange EO, I basically stick to using only FOs in my soap.

IrishLass :)

I wish I were better at EO blending, the only ones I usually use are sweet orange and my favorite... Peppermint/ eucalyptus (to me it just smells clean) . But I think I'm going to have to try the 10X orange.

I am sensitive to many EOs and I always use FOs instead. My skin itches, I get headaches and have other reactions. I am one of those who don't believe all the ingredients in soap are washed down the sink, I believe some are absorbed into the skin.

My DH can't use EOs or FOs.

I think it is a personal choice thing.

I am sensitive to many EOs and I always use FOs instead. My skin itches, I get headaches and have other reactions. I am one of those who don't believe all the ingredients in soap are washed down the sink, I believe some are absorbed into the skin.

My DH can't use EOs or FOs.

I think it is a personal choice thing.

I agree on the absorption (I don't know the science behind it) but if I have to much fragrance I swear I taste it.

I too use mostly FO's. I use a couple EO's. Lemongrass, Tea Tree and 15X Orange and Patchouli. I have used a bit of peppermint and rosemary. I tried EO's when I first started but have much better sales with FO's than I ever did with EO. Customers want Love Spell, Pink Sugar, Raspberry Lemonade etc....can't get that with EO's. So I have a very limited selection these days.

It's a personal decision.

I use mostly FOs in general bath and household soap, except for some of the EOs that are fairly inexpensive. I have to use so much scent in a CP soap that EOs are usually too expensive to use.

I use FOs or EOs in general purpose leave-on products such as lotions, balms, etc., depending on how I want to scent the product. Always EOs in things that have a medicinal or protective purpose -- salves, insect repellent, etc.

FOs come in a much wider range of scents than EOs -- bakery or food scents come to mind. Also FO scents can smell more balanced and rounded. For example, FOs can smell closer to scent of a living plant than an EO (compare the fragrance of a lavender bush to the scent of lavender EO or a good rose FO to rose EO).

I use both - EO's when they are inexpensive and hold well in soap. FO's if they are phthalate free. In the end, everything is a chemical, whether "natural" or not.

Everybody has such good points. I personally like to use FOs becasue I tend to use EOs for other things, epscially hair care. I'm also of the type who has temperamental skin and some EOs, especially the spicy types, tend to be a little strong for me even in smaller doses. So I'm less inclined to go beyond lavender, tea tree, rosemary and a bit of peppermint (it's a safe one).

I tend to use EO's because most FO's smell awful nasty to me. So far of the hundreds that I have sniffed there are two FOs that I like and use, so I've given up on them basically.
I purchase the basic, less expensive EO's and make my own happy mixes.

Thank you very much everybody. This as been a most informative thread. I admit my main concern had been paying a high price for EO's and then having the lye corrupt them.

OK I am convinced, except for rare exceptions I will use FO and keep my expensive EO's for people with diffusers and knowledge of aromatherapy.

I purchase the basic, less expensive EO's and make my own happy mixes.

I'm with Seawolfe - although I like a lot of the FOs and have fun with them, what really excites me is blending my own EOs and coming up with beautiful combinations. I mean, show me a synthetic rosemary that makes me swoon like the real thing! Can't do. And add rosemary EO to real peppermint, lavender and lemongrass and I have pure JOY!

Also I have some customers who will only buy soaps containing EOs. There is that to consider as I understand your intention is to sell them from your business Mac.

I have no qualms about using FOs, but I do love my EOs to bits :razz:

You make a very good point Suzie, thank you. I have also found a source of EO's in WA that may well prove to be more economical. Unfortunately except for my own bathroom, I have to take cost and profit margins into account.

I think that this hobby turned business is going to be a bit like the music industry, you always hope that you have a hit on your hands but you are never quite sure until the public votes.

I think my Coffee and Coconut with Shea Butter might be a good seller but I am only hoping. So if it bombs out and I add some Frankincense FO it might then take off like a rocket. You never can tell :)

Unfortunately the list doesn't correlate in any useful way with which EOs work in CP. Some of the best ones are reactive and some of the worst are not.

I thought the referenced information was useful in addressing the concerns of whether or not the scent changes after exposure to lye, as mentioned by both you and Mac:

...I admit my main concern had been paying a high price for EO's and then having the lye corrupt them.

...Some EOs work much better than others in the cold process, but a large proportion of them morph in fragrance...

As for "best" or "worst" EOs for CP by your classification, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. I think all of the EOs in that reference's table can be used successfully in CP - perhaps some must be more dilute than others due to acceleration.

Latest posts

Back