EO usage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Mountain Farm

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question…
If I can add 168 grams of lavender eo to my recipe and can use the same amount of another essential oil but want to blend them, do I add 168 grams of each or do I split each in half? I hope that makes sense!

To stay within safe levels for the constituents that make up each eo, it’s easy to check blends using EOCalc.com. Use the “make your own blend” option, enter each eo at 50%, and the amount and type of product you’re making. As long as the eos are listed in their database, the calculator will return the safe limits for a range of scenting strengths. If the second eo you want to use is not listed, you should learn more about it before deciding. Try searching on AromaWeb for example. Some eos have very low usage rates to start with and others could be problematic in combination with the constituents in lavender.

What is the lavender blended with? Some EOs have a more powerful scent than others. You always want to stay within the recommended guidelines. Brambleberry also has a fragrance calculator.

I’ll explain my question differently lol

So if I have two eo’s that I want to use in a recipe, but each of them have a usage rate of 168 grams for my recipe but I want to add BOTH not just one, I should add 84 grams of each, correct?

Probably correct, but I’d run the blend through the EO calc anyway. Some EOs are synergistic so the rate could change when you combine them.

If the safe usage rate is the same for both of them, then yes.
Only if they have the same constituents. If it's citral in one and menthone or linalool in the other, the full *safe* limit for both oils would be ok. That might or might not smell or work great but it would be safe.

Here's where the EU allergens listing part of the documentation can come in handy, to let you see if both have some of the same ingredients . And helpful as that eocalc site is, info from your supplier may have a lot more detail.

Only if they have the same constituents. If it's citral in one and menthone or linalool in the other, the full *safe* limit for both oils would be ok. That might or might not smell or work great but it would be safe.

Here's where the EU allergens listing part of the documentation can come in handy, to let you see if both have some of the same ingredients . And helpful as that eocalc site is, info from your supplier may have a lot more detail.
I think what you’re saying is that it would be okay to use the full safe amount of each eo if they had no overlapping problematic constituents. It totally makes sense, but some work would be required to figure it out. I mostly use the calculator…

Back