EO usage rate in dry ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarnieSoapien

Reaction score
I want to make shower steamers and I'm having a hard time finding a (helpful) guide for usage rates. Since it's a shower steamer and not a bath bomb, I don't need to dilute the EOs in a carrier oil. I've read a lot of recipes that measure in drops or teaspoons. I'd like to use grams but can't figure out what percentage of EOs I need to use for dry ingredients. Does anyone have any input?

EDIT: I checked EOCalc and they have a non-skin contact category... so I kinda answered my own question there 😂 But I would love any input anyway!

Last edited:
You could work on standard skin safe 3% and see if that's strong enough - if it was me I would be heading for 3-5% depending on the EO but it also depend on if I could calculate allergens for CLP as well.

Last edited:
I use 3-5% in my steamers. I mostly make them for personal use and family. I figure since they really don't come in much contact with the body all's good.

I have never used a shower steamer, but my only concern would be the tendency of some teens not to follow direction. If you were to tell my grandson or granddaughter NOT to stand on the shower steamer puck (or whatever shape it may be) because of the higher percentage of EO, they would both most probably and on purpose stand right on top of it in the shower. So I would consider the target consumer when choosing whether to add the skin-safe percentage or the non-contact percentage.

Back