EO Scent stick on Silicone Mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoenoess

Reaction score
Recently i experiment using EO
- Mint
- Citronella
- Kaffir lime
- Lavender

those EO scent is stick on my silicone mold

Some silicone molds are bought from Ace hardware and local supermarket. and some of it i made my self using Silicone RTV 683

any ideas to get rid those scent?
it affecting my next batch

I have a few silicone molds and do notice that the scent of the last batch tends to stick to it; however, I've never noticed it cause scent transfer to subsequent batches. I have no idea how to remove the scent from the silicone.

I don't think it really affects your next batch. My bet is that after 5-10 days of storage, the old scents disappear completely.

Essential oils will evaporate if you apply heat to your molds. The more heat, the quicker they go away.

They also dissolve in alcohol and also various oils/fats, but I am not sure that might result in a practical solution.

NancyRogers said:
I have a few silicone molds and do notice that the scent of the last batch tends to stick to it; however, I've never noticed it cause scent transfer to subsequent batches. I have no idea how to remove the scent from the silicone.

I have had the same experience. The lingering scent doesn't transfer from one batch to the next.

I run my silicone molds through the dishwasher before using again.

If the smell persists, you can also use salt water. The salt water will absorb lingering scents. This is what I use to remove the scents out of empty fragrance oil bottles so I can reuse them.

you can also wash them using sodium bicarb, it absorbs 'nasty' smells and the like which is why it's excellent when cleaning out the fridge :)
Happy soaping

Latest posts

Back