EO Profiles, Uses, Safety

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m in the process of converting to mostly FO (except for using some EOs to anchor the fragrance as @Zany_in_CO has researched and recommended) I’ve been reviewing IFRA sheets to get a feel for the FOs I’m interested in using and I’m wondering... CP soap makers usually formulate fragrance percentages based on oil weight since a large amount of water will evaporate during curing. However, when manufacturers recommend, say a maximum of 3% FO, are they also referring to the weight after curing, approximately oil weight? I presume they would since water percentages vary.

Quick answer: The % of fragrance, as well is other additives, is based on the weight of oils used. This applies to EOs and FOs and whether you're CPing or HPing.

Since I'm math challenged and a bit of a Lazy Daisy, I use MMS Fragrance Calc to determine the amount of fragrance needed. WSP & BrambleBerry also have one. They ask you to select the product you're making, i.e. CP soap or HP soap or Liquid Soap, the weight of oils in the batch, and the EO or FO you're using.

You will find that there is little difference in the Use Rate for FOs
The difference in Use Rate for EOs varies greatly and it's good to have a reliable source for double checking the IFRA recommended amount to use.
EO Calc does a good job with that. Unfortunately, their choice of essential oils is somewhat lacking.

Latest posts

Back