EO pre lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMack

Reaction score
Can you add EO and clay pre lye? Since switching to hand whisk to avoid thick trace I’ve had clay spots in the finished soap. I’d like to know if I can stick blend EO pre lye and not get fast acceleration?

Many thanks

I’d like to know if I can stick blend EO pre lye and not get fast acceleration
It depends on the EO/FO you use. Do a test batch before soaping if you don't know how it's going to react.
I always add fragrance/clsys and other additives to the warmed oils. Stick blend or stir briskly for one full minute to make sure it's fully incorporated before adding lye solution.

It depends on the EO/FO you use. Do a test batch before soaping if you don't know how it's going to react.
I always add fragrance/clsys and other additives to the warmed oils. Stick blend or stir briskly for one full minute to make sure it's fully incorporated before adding lye solution.
Will that solve the issue of clay spots? Really only adding clay to stick the fragrances

Add the fragrance to the clay to "wet" it first or snitch some of the water used to make the lye solution. I've never had "clay spots". 🤔

Add the fragrance to the clay to "wet" it first or snitch some of the water used to make the lye solution. I've never had "clay spots". 🤔
I didn’t when I used a stick blender but I switched to hand whisk and figured it was an incorporation issue. Just don’t know if EO accelerate in base oils pre lye or if the lye and EO combo causes acceleration with some EOs. I’ve been adding my EO to my kaolin and mixing before adding to my batter but only after I’ve added the lye solution

An EO is not going to accelerate your base oils...it's all just oil.

It's not the combo of EO and your lye solution that causes acceleration, it's just the EO. I know that 'spice' EOs tend to accelerate.

I mostly work with FOs and usually just mix it in with my Kaolin Clay and then add to my oils, given it a good whiz and then put in my Lye Solution. If I'm making a single color soap, I'll add it to the oils too. I'm I'm using another clay, pigment, oxide as a single color then I'll just add it to my FO to disperse.

You can add the eo to the base oils, but it’s best to know something about the eo behavior in your recipe, using your methods. If you’ve already made soap with the eo added after the lye and using a stick blender, adding it to the base oils before the lye and hand stirring (or stick blending) shouldn’t be a problem.

I add everything I can to my oils before the lye. I’ve never understood why anyone adds stuff at trace. The only exceptions is if I’m doing multi colours or if I know the fragrance will accelerate quickly.

I like to add EO to the clay and let that sit some time before adding to oils followed by lye. Theoretically, adding the EO-clay mixture at trace might help better retain the EO scent since saponification has already begun.

Back