EO percentage in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee55

Reaction score
I’m finding it had to find the magic number. For example: I always use 4% (per oil amount, so 40g per 1kg of oils) for EOs blends with Lavender/Rosemary/Fir. 3% for oils such as mint/lemongrass and 2.5% for ylang ylang because I find it too sweet. Problem is the soaps fade quite quickly. I do use base notes to anchor them (cedar/patchouli etc), and clays too. Would you say these percentages are simply not high enough? What percentage are you using?

Thank you! I’ll use that calculator. My worry always been to keep it low in case of using too much, will be interesting to see the calc info.

I ran the numbers, pretty much spot on what I’ve been doing. 5% is Max for safe EOs like Lavender etc. I suppose I could bump up to 4.5%. I use cedarwood for anchoring too, does anyone use amyris? I tried it a few times with not much luck.

I haven't tried amyris, so thanks for reporting on that.

Wrapping the soap once it has fully cured helps retain any remaining scent. Also, it often comes back when it's being used.

Ditto what @AliOop said. I wish I had discovered Enter Your Own Blend » Essential Oil Calculator two years ago! It would have saved me so much math and confusion. And by the way I have good luck anchoring with cedarwood -- I usually use a titch in every batch. Good luck!

Do you find the cedarwood scent comes through when using just a 'titch'? It's such a robust scent. I'd like to try this, but I don't necessarily want that woody smell in everything. Do you use Virginian?

Yes since you’re in the UK like lily jo said you can only sell your soaps if it’s a maximum 3% fragrance/EO and my assessment worked that out by adding oils, sodium hydroxide and 10% of your water and it’s 3% of that. Just incase you are thinking of selling in the future it’s worth keeping to that percentage otherwise you might think all your soaps made with 3% compared to ones made at 5% not as strong smelling and might make you nervous to sell them. If you’re not planning on selling them the essential oil calculator is amazing👍🏻

Do you find the cedarwood scent comes through when using just a 'titch'? It's such a robust scent. I'd like to try this, but I don't necessarily want that woody smell in everything. Do you use Virginian?
It's this one, Cedarwood Essential Oil | BrambleBerry , and lists Ingredients (INCI Name): Juniperus Virginiana L.
I really don't smell the cedarwood in my blends with 10% cedarwood. When I do rosemary/lemongrass/cedarwood, the first two come through. Same with my lavender/cedarwood blend, it's the lavender.

I do a 50/50 bergamot/cedarwood and it's a nice woody/citrus scent.

A lot of Eos do tend to fade in CP soap. They are not as hardy as most FOs and only the really 'strong' ones tend to stick around - patchouli, cedarwood etc. I've had lavender fade considerably so now i use half and half lavender EO and FO.

When I first started I was only going to use EO's. Well, that didn't last long as most EO's faded to quickly for my liking and once I started passing out soaps to friends and family many if not most wanted scents like Love Spell, and other dupes of fragrances so I switched to mostly FO's. I do still use a handful of EO's like Lavender, Patchouli, Eucalyptus, Mints, 10X orange, Tea Tree, Litsea Cubea, Lemongrass and Rosemary. Sometimes a blend of EO/FO.

When I first started I was only going to use EO's. Well, that didn't last long as most EO's faded to quickly for my liking and once I started passing out soaps to friends and family many if not most wanted scents like Love Spell, and other dupes of fragrances so I switched to mostly FO's. I do still use a handful of EO's like Lavender, Patchouli, Eucalyptus, Mints, 10X orange, Tea Tree, Litsea Cubea, Lemongrass and Rosemary. Sometimes a blend of EO/FO.
Exactly the same for me Shunty.

Latest posts

Back