EO oil problem. What happened???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm beginning to use more EOs instead of FOs and encountered a weird problem on my batch yesterday. I mixed Crafters Choice Sweet Orange (1.2 oz) with Sun Pure Botanicals Patchouli (.35 oz). They seemed to mix okay, but a short time later when I went to add them to my batter, it had separated into oil and a tarry glob at the bottom. I went ahead and poured the liquid oil into my batch, and the photo shows the tarry mess left in the cup. It took a brillo pad to clean it. Any ideas what happened?
(BTW, my batch unmolded fine this morning. Haven't cut it yet. My first attempt at a Taiwan Swirl.)

Orange & Patchouli EOs.jpg

Still hoping someone can shed some light on the oil turned tar, but meantime I wanted to show you the cut on my Taiwan Swirl. It's not quite perfect, but hey, it's my first try.

36 Taiwan Swirl.jpg

I'm thinking the "tar" is a component of the patchouli.

Orange EO is high in limonene, which is a very effective solvent for some chemicals, but it's not a universal solvent for everything. I'm guessing there is something in the patch that is insoluble in limonene.

If my guess is right, the insoluble bits would have solidified, separated, and settled to the bottom to create the "tar" you found.

I'm thinking the "tar" is a component of the patchouli.

Orange EO is high in limonene, which is a very effective solvent for some chemicals, but it's not a universal solvent for everything. I'm guessing there is something in the patch that is insoluble in limonene.

If my guess is right, the insoluble bits would have solidified, separated, and settled to the bottom to create the "tar" you found.

Orange Patchouli seems to be a popular combination, so is there a problem with the particular brand of either of my EOs? What other EOs are high in limonene that might cause the same problem (lime, lemon, litsea...)? I concerned about using the patchouli oil in any future combos.

I have no idea if I'm right -- I'm giving you my best guess, but I could totally be 110% wrong.

I've never heard anyone say they've had this problem with their patch-orange blends. I'd think if it was a common problem, people would talk about it because this is a popular blend with people.

The only way to know if the problem is with that particular brand is to try the same patch-orange blend using patch from a different supplier. I'm kind of out of my league to offer more insight.

Nice looking soap.

I wonder if the EOs would still do that if you mixed them separately into your soaping oils. Not together at the same time, but one at a time, giving time for the oils to dilute the EOs.

Maybe try it again with a very small batch and see if that prevents the tarry substance from forming. Or maybe try diluting each EO into about 15-30 grams of one of your base oils (separately), then mix the two together and see if anything precipitates out. Then you would be wasting much oil it it does, whereas if you do it with the entire batch of oils, it would be a bit more messy to get the tarry substance out.

I wonder if the EOs would still do that if you mixed them separately into your soaping oils. Not together at the same time, but one at a time, giving time for the oils to dilute the EOs.

Maybe try it again with a very small batch and see if that prevents the tarry substance from forming. Or maybe try diluting each EO into about 15-30 grams of one of your base oils (separately), then mix the two together and see if anything precipitates out. Then you would be wasting much oil it it does, whereas if you do it with the entire batch of oils, it would be a bit more messy to get the tarry substance out.

Great idea, Earlene. So I tried mixing a 4:1 mix of Orange and Patchouli EOs separately into some olive oil. No tar. So I added the same amount again of the patchouli. No tar. But in both cases there were lots of brown speckles/particulates in the oil that would not mix out. I also tried mixing just the patchouli into some OO, and it did the same thing.

Is this the nature of patchouli EO or perhaps an issue with this particular brand (Sun Pure Botanicals). The oil itself is quite dark OOB.

I cannot say for sure, since I have yet to use Patchouli. I take it you did not get the specks from with the Crafter's Choice Sweet Orange alone, right? It was only with the Sun Pure Botanicals that you got the brown specks when mixed into the olive oil, right?

I'd contact Sun Pure Botanicals and tell them what is happening and ask if this is normal and see how they respond. I don't think it's normal to get brown specks precipitating out of an EO when mixed alone in a carrier oil. I suspect there is a problem with the patchouli.

Maybe @Zany_in_CO or @cmzaha has experience with SPB Patchouli and can provide some insight. They both use SPB essential oils.

Still hoping someone can shed some light on the oil turned tar, but meantime I wanted to show you the cut on my Taiwan Swirl. It's not quite perfect, but hey, it's my first try.

View attachment 51750
Adorable. I know it wasn't what you were going for, but they look like skinny marching penguins, which I think is pretty cool.

In some other groups I'm in some members have problems with Sun Pure Botanicals EO's. There is a feeling they are adulterated.

Neither or your EO's should cause tar or speckles in your soap.

In some other groups I'm in some members have problems with Sun Pure Botanicals EO's. There is a feeling they are adulterated.

Neither or your EO's should cause tar or speckles in your soap.

That's bad news -- I bought 9 bottles from them. They were recommended by a few folks on this board and had good ratings on the web. I'm hoping some of the others will be better.

Back