EO & FO Scent Fade issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul M

Reaction score
Hi Ya'll! I've been having serious issues with fading scents. I know the notorious ones are citrus and other "TOP" Notes. I understand that using anchor "BASE" Notes or clays can anchor the scents, but some will still fade with time. :( Understanding the EO Notes - top, middle and base notes will help with the problem, like adding patchouli to hold a citrus, but will not last forever. If you can not use or sell in 6 months (or less) or a year if you're lucky, the scents fade and you're left with a bar that you can't sell (but most certainly use personally). HOW FRUSTRATING! All that hard work to find this out the hard way! I found that using the Fragrance Wheel's (for ex, Bespoke Unit fragrance wheel can assist) but it's not always a guarantee - depending on usage amounts. I had to donate 300 bars last week (after doing inventory) to a homeless shelter to let someone use them, since the recipes were excellent, but had the fading scent issues. Learning the hard way, unfortunately. Base notes like Cedarwood, Cinnamon, Clove, Patchouli, Sandalwood or Vetiver will help hold the scent longer when mixed with Top notes like Citrus, Eucalyptus or Sage - or when using clay like Kaolin (not a pro at the usage amt yet!). Using organic & sustainable oils don't matter if someone is interested in scent (even the FO's!) if you need to write them off for donations or use personally. How can we make a delightful soap when the scent fades in 6 months, but it may take 1.5 years to sell? It's not as east to add more scent because the ones you can sell quick can have unsafe levels of EO/FO... but the same bar may have barely any scent from the same batch in a year! Does anyone have any other advice to anchor the scents??? Clay of Base notes are the only solutions that I've seen with research, but how can you sell without scent when that seems to be the #1 quality that customers look for (and not go bankrupt)?!?! Please help!! :) Anxiously awaiting any responses..... THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!! :) ~Paul

Personal experience making soap. Adding clays or other things to soap will not make a fragrance stick. EO's are notorious for not sticking around. I started with EO's and pretty quickly switched to mostly FO's. First cost, second they wouldn't stick, third customers wanted strong smelling and scents you can't get with EO. I have soaps 5 years old or more that still have scent. I have worked hard to find fragrances that stick well. I have a few that I use EO's in but make in smaller batches and a bit more frequently so they don't sit around more than a year.

Last edited:
I agree with above, pick your battles. I do a few EO soaps (Eucalyptus and Spearmint, Lavender) because those two stick. I also make in the qty that I can sell before the scent fades. The EucaMint I can make a lot of (18 bars is a lot for me) because it holds and sells. The lavender I make in smaller batches, it doesn't sell as well or stick as well. I also tell my customers to use these soaps and not store them, I don't guarantee for scent fade.

Personal experience making soap. Adding clays or other things to soap will not make a fragrance stick. EO's are notorious for not sticking around. I started with EO's and pretty quickly switched to mostly FO's. First cost, second they wouldn't stick, third customers wanted strong smelling and scents you can't get with FO. I have soaps 5 years old or more that still have scent. I have worked hard to find fragrances that stick well. I have a few that I use EO's in but make in smaller batches and a bit more frequently so they don't sit around more than a year.

Thanks for your reply! My whole premise of my small company was to use EO's, organic & sustainable oils (as much as I can) and no artificial color/scent. I feel like I'm doomed :( I try to make scents that customers request, but that usually ends up being a scent that fades! I found that lemongrass and litsea cubeba can be sold as "Lemon Chiffon" instead of using a lemon EO. Maybe I just need to be creative, but I never know if folks will take a chance on a scent that they may not be familiar with, or it can depend on what I name the bar scent... :/

Thanks for your reply! My whole premise of my small company was to use EO's, organic & sustainable oils (as much as I can) and no artificial color/scent. I feel like I'm doomed :( I try to make scents that customers request, but that usually ends up being a scent that fades! I found that lemongrass and litsea cubeba can be sold as "Lemon Chiffon" instead of using a lemon EO. Maybe I just need to be creative, but I never know if folks will take a chance on a scent that they may not be familiar with, or it can depend on what I name the bar scent... :/

Mine started out that way as well. Sadly I found my customers had different ideas once I started selling. They like their Love Spell, Pink Sugar, Red Clover Tea, etc.... The same thing happens with many natural colorants, they fade or discolor to something not intended or turn brown. I make a patchouli, Lavender (smaller batches), like amd Euc Mint, Tee Tree, Peppermint, Lavender, Rosemary Mint and Lemongrass. These I can make in a larger batch as they stick pretty well long term.

Also, since you're new here hop on over to the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself & how long you've been making soap. Welcome!

In my experience kaolin clay did not help at all to make scents stick (maybe even the opposite). A good blend does seem to help.
For some EO's HP seems to make them last a bit longer.
Air exposure also seems to play a role, so airtight packaging after the initial 4-6 weeks cure would probably help.
Recently I've started to wonder if lye concentration plays a role, since I have one soap that I did with low water and has very good scent retention. Maybe the water evaporating takes the EO with it? I still need to test this theory though..
I don't sell and I only make small quantities of soap, so I can't share any sales techniques or tips and tricks.

(Edited for typos)

I find shrink wrapping helps after a very solid cure...but that can defeat the point of natural, if you include packaging with the natural branding, regardless of whether you sell or not.

shunt knows what she's talking about.
I started out wanting to make all natural all EO soaps but then I found I was allergic to most of the EOs. If figure there are lots more people like me out there. There is also a fragrance free option to consider.

I think you just need to find your niche but the most important thing is making great soap that smells great (even if it is fragrance free) and holds its colour.

I find if I soap at cooler temps - maybe 90-100 and put the soap in the fridge so it doesn't gel, the essential oil scents last longer. However by doing that, it then can create other issues like partial gel and soda ash!! You can't win! Recently I've been gelling my soaps using CPOP method and although they look nice the EO scents are definately weaker.

I've been making soap for over a year now, and it's definitely trial and error with the scents. I've found some that stick really well - mostly FOs - that I've been making repeat batches of. I started with EOs too, but had to make the switch to FOs to get better longevity. What I do now is always use an EO with my FO - just to satisfy my own need for wanting EOs in my soap. Litsea, Sweet Orange, Patchouli and Lemongrass are the four common ones I use - and I use whatever is appropriate to 'go with' the fragrance oil. For example Fig and Rhubarb FO with Sweet Orange EO, Rose FO with Patchouli (only small amount) EO, Love Spell FO with Litsea EO, etc.
Sometimes you will find that even soap that has lost its scent will still have scent once you get it wet and start using it. I discovered this with a year old soap I made with all citrus EOs.

Back