EO/FO Leftovers - Cold, dreary day in the south

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd SO much rather be at home today with a fire and a giant cup of coffee working on a soap project. Question: When you get down to having several bottles and fragrance with drips and drabs in them, do you ever just pour them all in a single batch to see how they combine, or is that huge waste?

No, I have done it. I usually mix them in one of the containers and see how it smells first before adding it to a batch. If you like it, it's all good. If you don't add something else to it to make it more appealing. However, if it's not really good I'll just keep the soap and use it at home. I won't sell it.

I'd SO much rather be at home today with a fire and a giant cup of coffee working on a soap project. Question: When you get down to having several bottles and fragrance with drips and drabs in them, do you ever just pour them all in a single batch to see how they combine, or is that huge waste?

Yeah it's like 50 degrees here today. Which in my book is about 20 degrees below freezing. :confused: I hate cold weather, with a passion.

I usually use my last bits of EO's to experiment with. Make combinations using just drops of each. Then if I find something I like I can buy more and increase the recipe to make my "new" scent blend.

Funny you should ask...I mixed the last of the cinnamon leaf, clove, and eucalyptus EOs, adjusted it a bit with some lemongrass, and called it Christmas Blend. Smells just like someone's mother's house with the tree up and baking going on.

And I am SO glad I am not the only person grieving the loss of summer!

That's interesting about the scents. I'm intrigued!

As far as mourning summer, not a chance! I'm also a knitter. This weather allows me to actually wear some of the things I've created! I hate the triple digit temps, and it rarely gets colder than 45F around here, so I'm in love with our weather right now! We've been getting 40s overnight, and 70-80 highs. Now, if we could just get some rain, I'd be in heaven!

Umm, y'all have no room to talk about chilliness. -8 here. I'm contemplating a second pair of socks right now.

Yeah, I've lived in Colorado twice. I hear ya. Once in Arvada and once in Bethoud. Was miserable both times. I always liked how locals would tell me it's a 'dry" cold, so it's not as bad. Once it gets below 50, it's all the same to me. haha

There's a reason I came back to south Texas. We have two seasons. Summer and Not Summer. Luckily Not Summer only lasts around 4 months.

Yeah, I've lived in Colorado twice. I hear ya. Once in Arvada and once in Bethoud. Was miserable both times. I always liked how locals would tell me it's a 'dry" cold, so it's not as bad. Once it gets below 50, it's all the same to me. haha

There's a reason I came back to south Texas. We have two seasons. Summer and Not Summer. Luckily Not Summer only lasts around 4 months.

I lived in Laredo for three years and the San Antonio area for thirteen. This time of year I start missing it. But March to October- not so much. Oklahoma gets hot. But at least it cools off at night.

I lived in Laredo for three years and the San Antonio area for thirteen. This time of year I start missing it. But March to October- not so much. Oklahoma gets hot. But at least it cools off at night.

I'm from SA and still here. Plan is within the next 3 years to move down to the coast. I'm still too far north. I love it anywhere around 100. Think I need to move to the Caymans . :)

I've lived all over Texas. The only things I miss are HEB and restaurants.

I love just about everything in Colorado. It might be cold sometimes, but I get a fabulous 10 months each year. My electric bill never comes close to the $600/month I spent in Houston every summer in a futile attempt to forget I was basically living on a swamp. Nothing like taking a shower in the morning, putting my hair up, and it still being wet after work. Ick! No diving for cover in Dallas when the tornado warnings go off again. No debating whether a hurricane is going to really hit us, and we will be without power for two weeks. Snow is a lot prettier than monsoon flooding (nothing like wading waist deep through nasty water on Kirby Drive with my daughter on my shoulders to keep her from the sewage). And most importantly: no flying cockroaches!

/not bitter about Texas ;)

I've lived all over Texas. The only things I miss are HEB and restaurants.

I love just about everything in Colorado. It might be cold sometimes, but I get a fabulous 10 months each year. My electric bill never comes close to the $600/month I spent in Houston every summer in a futile attempt to forget I was basically living on a swamp. Nothing like taking a shower in the morning, putting my hair up, and it still being wet after work. Ick! No diving for cover in Dallas when the tornado warnings go off again. No debating whether a hurricane is going to really hit us, and we will be without power for two weeks. Snow is a lot prettier than monsoon flooding (nothing like wading waist deep through nasty water on Kirby Drive with my daughter on my shoulders to keep her from the sewage). And most importantly: no flying cockroaches!

/not bitter about Texas ;)

Haha, the flying cockroaches! (water bugs) My ex never did get used to those. I'll agree snow is pretty. As long as I'm looking at it through a window, next to a roaring fire, with 5 layers of clothes on, waiting for my ride to the airport to catch a plane back to a beach. If you don't like heat and/or humidity, Texas is not a good place to visit. haha

Not bashing Colorado, even though that's where my ex is from:), it is a beautiful state.

For the leftover FOs, maybe use a little for lotion bars? I did a small batch of lotion bars a few days ago and only used about 8 or 10 drops of FO and it scented my entire little batch wonderfully.

I'm also feeling the chill here in the Seattle area. It's in the low 40's here (yeah, I know we're weather wusses in the Pacific NW! LOL), but it truly feels like the first day of winter. I actually had to turn our heaters on and get the kids' gloves out. Brrrrr!

I usually crochet and loom knit, so I usually appreciate a little cooler weather also. But this year, I broke a bone in my hand. And while I can do most things now, yarn crafts are still off my list. Going to physical therapy now, and hope to get back to the afghans I promised my children soon. But since I can't do my favorite winter crafting(other than making soap), I wish I could have my summer back that I missed since I was hurt.

I've used left over FO in my scentsy burner, just add a few drops to a compatible scented wax. I've found some really weird combos smell very nice, cranberry spice & fig is my newest mix.

It is a dreary week in the Deep South. I have a pot of soup on the stove to stave off the chill, but there is still honeysuckle blooming on my fence.

I've made some really great scent mixtures (which I will never be able to duplicate) by using a bit of this and a bit of that what I had leftover. Now, I usually will just put some extra scent in if I have a bit left in the bottle instead of hanging onto it.

Not cold here yet, I'm waiting for fall and I'm jealous of anyone who wore a sweater today.

I'm frugal so I hang on to the dribbly bits until I get a new bottle of that same fragrance. I have only had a righteous, Christian, abiding HATRED for a few scents, so those just sit there until I can trade them or they evaporate or Satan calls them back to hell or they spontaneously combust for being evil or whatever.
Sorry, I become an extra grumpy owl when it's chilly. In the 60s today!!! Brrrr.

Back