EO blends that work with exfoliants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James21

Reaction score
Hi everybody, before posting this I read everything on blending EOs back to 2017. I used to have a decent wholesale and farmers market soap kitchen in SW Scotland and have now relocated to just outside Cognac in France. I’m a chef, and started making soap as I became confined to a wheelchair for several months after an accident and wanted to be able to do something to stay sane.

I originally started taking combinations that I knew went well in food. I started of with an orange and cardamom combination, using whole crushed cardamom pods and noticed how well the scents lasted and also noticed that the bars didn’t disintegrate and lasted at least a third longer than my other non exfoliant bars, they also sold better at the farmers markets. My daughter is now keen for me to help her set up her own business and we have decided to keep it as organic and natural as possible.

My best sellers used to be:

Lemon and lemongrass EO with crushed lemongrass stalks, Peppermint EO with pumice and dried peppermint green tea, Orange EO and crushed cardamom, French Lavender EO with 10% Orange and dried lavender and my two cheats using scents were Bananna and crushed whole vanilla pods and finally Rhubarb with dried orange zest and wheat grist. Unfortunately I can’t find anybody in the U.K. or France with Rhubarb anymore.

I’ve seen suggestions for lavender and Peppermint, Rosemary and Peppermint and a Rosemary, lemongrass, spearmint and lavender that sound really good.

I hate Patchouli as my flatmate used to wear it instead of washing! Are there any combinations that anybody could help me with that they find particularly delicious? I really want to do something with verbena/geranium/vervaine I’m not good on floral either which I also need help with. My all time favourite soap was the pink redken one from the 1970’s or the original body shop lemongrass exfoliating soap. Thank you in advance for any suggestions, this is a great forum.

The EO blend of orange and cardamom sounds delicious and I'm going to have to try it.

My favorite scent to pair with Geranium EO is Ginger EO, though I've never tried it with verbena/vervain. I also like Allspice EO with Lavender and any citrusy EOs, so perhaps it would also pair well with verbena/vervain. I've always been able to smell Rosemary separately regardless of the blend, so I'm not any help there. That is, to my nose Rosemary doesn't play well with others.

Oh, and I too have a great hate of Patchouli!

I always forget about the "Blends" feature of that EO calc! Yes, a great resource there.

Here's a write-up on Geranium EO from my favorite EO supplier (no "blend" info for Rosemary...):
Used in many quality perfumes.
Blends well with Bergamot, Lavender, Rosemary, Rose, Sandalwood, Lemon, Patchouli and Orange

Oooh, orange and ginger EO with orange peel powder! I do a lemon, lemongrass with matcha powder, which gives it an earthy smell.

Rosemary, peppermint and spearmint EO with green sea clay
Coffee with orange EO (coffee as water replacement and some micro grind instant added as well)

I also hate patchouli :p

The EO blend of orange and cardamom sounds delicious and I'm going to have to try it.

My favorite scent to pair with Geranium EO is Ginger EO, though I've never tried it with verbena/vervain. I also like Allspice EO with Lavender and any citrusy EOs, so perhaps it would also pair well with verbena/vervain. I've always been able to smell Rosemary separately regardless of the blend, so I'm not any help there. That is, to my nose Rosemary doesn't play well with others.

Oh, and I too have a great hate of Patchouli!
Thanks, just added ginger to my order. I want to start using geranium, but have always been put off by the cost.

Oooh, orange and ginger EO with orange peel powder! I do a lemon, lemongrass with matcha powder, which gives it an earthy smell.

Rosemary, peppermint and spearmint EO with green sea clay
Coffee with orange EO (coffee as water replacement and some micro grind instant added as well)

I also hate patchouli :p
Trying the rosemary, peppermint, spearmint I’ve never used Rosemary EO before, but they are all flavours that work with lamb, so will give it a go, maybe with a little citrus as well.

Back