EO blend advice please!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have several bottles of leftover EOs that I purchased and would like to use. My problem is my "smeller" isn't very good! LOL! I am not experienced at blends or even telling what one particular EO smells like or it's characteristics....if that makes sense? I have looked at various posts and on-line and end up getting overwhelmed by all the choices and information, so I don't use any of them or just use my old favorites.

Would any of you be willing to share your favorite blends or share ideas of what I can do with what I have?

I have the following EOs -
  • Lavender
  • Clove - eugenia caryophyllus
  • Cinnamon bark - cinnamomum zeylanicum
  • Wintergreen - Gaultheria procumbens
  • Sandalwood - (says 14% oil blend) santalum album
  • Patchouli - pogostemon cablin
  • Lime - citrus aurantifolia
  • Lemongrass - Cymbopogon citratus
  • Tea Tree - Melaleuca alternifolia
  • Orange - Citrus sinensis
I realize that the citrus scents don't last in CP soap - but I might as well use them up as I don't have any other use for them. All are NOW Essential Oil brand except the Lavender which is Handcraft Blends brand. It does not list a specific type of lavender, just says the ingredient is lavender oil and that it is premium therapeutic grade (whatever that means!).

Thanks!

Modern soapmaking has a library of different blends as well, and a safety calculator.

Thanks, @Megan , I will look there!

Have you tried searching here on the forum? Searching for "EO Blend" should give you lots of results-- this question comes up now and then.

That is exactly it, @artemis , I search on here and then get overwhelmed by too many choices and then I just quit looking! :oops::rolleyes:

their calculator is eocalc.com
I have blended lemongrass with lavender and I liked it. Also with eucalyptus and mint, it tends to overpower them but I personally do not mind that. It seems that most half of your EO´s are top notes (the citrus and the mints) and your other half are bottom notes (the spices, sandalwood and patchouli). Usually a combination of those is balanced, but the clove and cinnamon you can only use a tiny bit in soap as it is a skin irritant.

I agree not to use clove and cinnamon in soap. The skin-safe amount is so low that you are not likely to be able to smell them. EOCalc.com is a great resource!

Orange clove cinnamon. HP it because clove seizes in CP, and it will help the orange stick. Clove and cinnamon are very strong scents, so you just need a little bit to stay within the skin safety limits. Lime will also stick if you HP it, but I have not tried it in a blend with any of your other EO's.

If you like patchouli, it is good by itself. Lavender is good by itself too.

Hi there @Bari b , Blends Archive » Essential Oil Calculator has essential oil blend recipes you can try. and if you are not sure which ones to try, You can try a few on this thread I just stumbled upon here on the forum EOCalc.com Blend Reviews

Members who have tried out the EO Calc blend recipes give feedback here on the thread and can tell you if the smell was good, if it held over time, or if it accelerated etc.
I think It will be a big help to you.
Good Luck!

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/eocalc-com-blend-reviews.77266/

Thank you all so much for the advice! I have been on vacation for a week and am just now getting back to working on soap. You all have given me some wonderful ideas and I am looking forward to trying some of these blends!

Latest posts

Back