EO behavior in liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Servant4Christ

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this.
Is there a thread, website, book, ect that tells how different essential oils behave in liquid soapmaking? I mostly want to know which EOs will turn my soap cloudy since viscosity can be corrected.

No, there isn't.

Even if you're only interested in lavender EO for example, you can't draw any conclusions simply by testing the lavender EO sold by your favorite supplier. I don't think most people realize there are significant chemical variations among the various lavender varietals, enough to affect the behavior of those EOs in liquid soap.

And then if you change the recipe you're using, the fatty acids will change, so an EO that worked in the old recipe might not work well in the new one.

Too many variables to make it practical to do. The only real way to know is to test each specific fragrance in each type of liquid soap that you make.

Have you tried tired using polysorbate 20 when using FO or EO?
No, I haven't use polysorbate 80 before. I think I just didn't dilute my soap enough because once I diluted it a bit more and then thickened with a bit of salt solution, the soap when totally transparent and that annoying ring of foam around the top of the LS disappeared. This experience made me wonder about how different EOs might behave with regard to cloudiness and such, because if there's a book that takes the guesswork out of the equation, I'm buying it.

No, I haven't use polysorbate 80 before. I think I just didn't dilute my soap enough because once I diluted it a bit more and then thickened with a bit of salt solution, the soap when totally transparent and that annoying ring of foam around the top of the LS disappeared. This experience made me wonder about how different EOs might behave with regard to cloudiness and such, because if there's a book that takes the guesswork out of the equation, I'm buying it.
Essential oils that do not cloud liquid soap

Back