Entry thread- SMF July 2017 Challenge Mermaid Tail

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by galaxyMLP, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Jul 21, 2017 #1

galaxyMLP

galaxyMLP

galaxyMLP

Supporting Member

Entry thread for the July challenge. Please no discussion in this thread. Please post at least two pictures for your entry. At least one picture of the uncut loaf/slab, and at least one cut soap picture. You must have both pictures to be allowed to enter.

Feel free to add any other information to your post! Voting will begin on the 26/27th and will end on the 30th. Winners will be announced early the 31st.

2. Jul 21, 2017 #2

KristaY

KristaY

KristaY

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, here goes! My entry is scented with Black Raspberry Vanilla from Peak. I decided to go monochromatic so colored only with Raspberry Red from Nurture in 4 shades. I also added a bit of glitter to the top because all mermaids have glittery scales, lol. This challenge was really fun Galaxy so thank you for hosting it!

Attached Files:

3. Jul 21, 2017 #3

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I am entering my favorite soap, right now, although if I make something I like better on my next try, I'll enter it instead.

They are not perfect, but they are my favorites among the 3 I made, so here they are:

Cut bars after struggling with ash removal:
    [​IMG]

Before ash removal:

[​IMG]

Freshly made slab:
    [​IMG]

And my most recent photo showing my inspiration, Barbie the mermaid with the cut bars today. The spray of distilled water followed by spray of 91% alcohol did not remove damage it as long as I did not try to wipe any of it off. So I was pleased.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  4. Jul 22, 2017 #4

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member

This was definitely a challenge for me. This is the soap I like the best of the tries I made despite the out of control ash and I dropped something (a spoon maybe) on the top.
    There is so much room for improvement. I think my main issue is not waiting for a thick enough trace, and not learning to wait either!! This soap is scented with Citrus Shower from Fragrance Buddy (Avobath dupe) and the colors are Kombu Green, Four Leaf Clover (NS), and a mix of Green Vibrance (NS) and Lettuce (MM).

Attached Files:

Millie, jewels621, DeeAnna and 16 others like this.
  5. Jul 23, 2017 #5

Kittish

Kittish

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie Supporting Member

Soap is scented with the last of the lemongrass, cedarwood, frankincense and patchouli EO blend that I made. The scales were still really soft when I cut, but I was worried the loaf would get too hard. Managed to stick a finger in one of the scales.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jul 24, 2017 #6

Wyredgirl

Wyredgirl

Wyredgirl

My entry. Dragon scales and smoke... I actually made two loaves and started my scales at an angle but it wasn't wanting to cooperate. lol ImageUploadedBySoap Making1500920076.738644.jpg ImageUploadedBySoap Making1500920114.213187.jpg

dibbles, Arimara, Kittish and 11 others like this.
  7. Jul 24, 2017 #7

Wyredgirl

Wyredgirl

Wyredgirl

Forgot a photo ImageUploadedBySoap Making1500920349.900061.jpg

dibbles, Arimara, Kittish and 8 others like this.
  8. Jul 25, 2017 #8

Soapprentice

Soapprentice

Soapprentice

This was my practice batch... so went with dragon scale colour theme I always wanted to do ( Drogon inspired from GOT ). I made another entry batch with the mermaid colours and failed miserably and hence the practice batch.

Attached Files:

Millie, earlene, dibbles and 14 others like this.
  9. Jul 26, 2017 #9

jewels621

jewels621

jewels621

Lifetime Supporter

Such a challenge this was for me! Here's the one I was happiest with of all the tries I made. The base is a teal that I mixed up using titanium dioxide, kelly green, and bright blue in glycerin. The scales are Girly Pink, and Purple Lab Colors from BB that discolored from the vanilla in the Pink Sugar scent that I used. I'm glad this one is done!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DeeAnna, HowieRoll, KristaY and 14 others like this.
  10. Jul 26, 2017 #10

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

Supporting Member

Dogwood and ginger FO, and again I used baby food (green beans) for base color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Jul 27, 2017 #11

BattleGnome

BattleGnome

BattleGnome

Literally just pulled of my gloves to take pics. As I was scrolling down to post I realized I forgot glitter, I can add that later. No cut pics because I poured two minutes ago.

Without further ado, my sunflower soap. It thickened much faster than my test batch and heated ridiculously. I also over mixed. After the adrenaline subsides I'll try to find a good representation of what the colors will morph to. The orange will be yellow and the yellowish base will hopefully be tan.

Edit: the last pic is what I hope the colors will morph to. I lost patience with trace on that batch and ended up just layering and making embeds with the rest (I also added glitter to my new loaf because I can ;p)

Second edit: cut pics! The yellow morphed but the fragrance hasn't even begun to discolor. I promise there's three colors! The green embeds were the leftover batter from my first non-thickening batch. There should be a few yellow ones but they're hiding in the center of some of the bars

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    dibbles, KristaY, Kittish and 3 others like this.
  12. Jul 27, 2017 #12

cherrycoke216

cherrycoke216

cherrycoke216

This is the first step of my learning curve. I should practice before I'm running out of time. Mermaid scale was way harder than GalaxyMLP make it look like!

Color scheme on the mermaid tail top is gold, gray, pink. ( supposed to be,haha! )
    I want it look like ombré when the sun hits her tail. But the gold color portion was too liquid and muddy up in the piping bag.
    The base is royal blue under the mermaid scale.
    Scented with Ocean breeze FO ( base ) & white Rose FO ( mermaid scale ). These two are tricky. Ocean FO pretty much RICED. And White rose did not accelerate like I expected. If it's thicker trace, the mermaid scale might look better.
    Thanks for the challenge, GalaxyMLP! Definitely will try again. This will be a confetti soap, I guess.
    At least it smells great. :p

The second picture was before the soap batter hit thick trace. No cutting picture here, too. It's still wet.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1501131479.428463.jpg ImageUploadedBySoap Making1501131561.110961.jpg

Kittish, BattleGnome, dibbles and 3 others like this.