Entry Thread for the SMF August 2021 Challenge - Ombre Designs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the entry thread for the August 2021 Ombre Designs Challenge. You are welcome to post more than one photo, but please post the photo you want used for the voting survey first. If you would care to share anything about your design, process, colors, fragrance or inspiration, please do. A couple of reminders:

1. The entry thread is for participant entry photos only. Please post any comments to the general challenge thread August 2021 SMF Soap Challenge - Ombre Designs
2. The entry thread will remain open until August 25, 2021 at 11:59 GMT
3. After the entry thread is closed, a link and password to the voting survey will be sent by private message to those who have signed up

Good luck to you all, and I am looking forward to seeing what you've made!

I’m pretty excited about this soap! I actually planned and picked out a color palette. It was pretty fun too! My first time using an embed in the soap. Placement was a pain! But this is Tequila Sunrise:
1307B622-C979-4A88-8D43-CF90BA527E1A.jpeg

AA00F7A6-1489-4E18-9BC1-E0320830ECAD.jpeg

Thanks @dibbles for the wonderful challenge! I enjoyed it more than most!

Here's mine. I am not happy with the colours - I wanted a midnight blue but didn't have one. I also knocked my mould as I was pouring (!)

I cut the bar in two different directions so my one bar has two different designs. The first is the design I'm submitting but I'll show both, just for the craic.

As you can see, I have yet to master the art of soap photography!
20210806_181639.jpg
20210806_181727.jpg

I had wanted to do a T&S Shimmy for a while now and figured the ombré challenge was a good opportunity.

Using only two colors, with the ombré effect for both colors building throughout the whole bar, from bottom to top, required a lot of calculating. I’m pleased with the colors and enjoyed learning a whole new design.
75AD4238-F0D9-4145-A62E-8271ECEFB9EA.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi everybody! Mine came out a little tilted because the batter thickened up very quickly, but I am happy with my single attempt.

What I have for you today is “Poisoned Pear.” I used Cabin Fever, Lime Appeal, and Nocturnal micas from Nurture Soap for the colors, and scented it with Sweet Juicy Pear FO from WSP.

Attachments

• 8B128321-05BE-45B5-970F-F0456F86D7AE.jpeg
    8B128321-05BE-45B5-970F-F0456F86D7AE.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 56
I made four different soaps using different types of colorants for each. This is the only one with two color gradients. The micas were blended to match a color palette selected by the person who will get this soap as a belated birthday present. I’m happy with how close the colors match, especially after watching the initial morphing of the green, which then morphed back. As planned, the soap had more white, but IMHO, gradient pours eat white batter for breakfast. The soap is scented with Nurture’s very user friendly Lavender & Sage.

FA0682A7-DD00-4DE1-AA22-0AED55482FDD.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's my entry. This was the first time I'd tried to make a subtle ombre, and it almost failed when my batter thickened significantly. Thankfully I was able to get the basic effect I was going for by cutting the loaf in a different direction than normal.

Fragrance is Ray of Sunshine from Brambleberry. Micas were Mermaid Blue, Kelly Green, Yellow, and Sunset Orange (all from BB).
20210824_184925.jpg

Despite an ambitious declaration of intent, I ran out of time for the execution and had to simplify the design to some extent.
I was thinking to do a black to light blue ombre wave, and then pour the ombre sky as a separate batch, but we're very busy at the moment with chicks and I couldn't guarantee having enough chunks of time to get it completed.
While trying to figure out how to speed things up, I realised that soap dough would be just the thing to avoid having a long wait for setting up once the soap was completed. Coincidentally, mum took this picture in our garden (she's been looking out for examples of ombre since I explained what it was 🤣 ) and I decided to base the design on it in combination with the previous one:
IMG-20210823-WA0000.jpg

These are the final soaps - please excuse the slightly dodgy focus, I was rushing and didn't get a chance to re-shoot after I saw the full size preview.

DSC00668 (1).jpg

Here’s my ombré entry - execution was not exactly as I had dreamed, but I still like them. The centers of these flowers were made with a small cylinder and a few different pull though gadgets - a spice jar plastic top and some little wooden flowers. Varying success. The ombré was red and pink mica which I tried to darken with charcoal but turned purple. The flowers were made with a column pour, starting with the dark color. Transitions worked pretty well but I might have started with an even darker color. Scented with lavandin.
Edited to bigulate the photos. 😉
A7480350-22D3-4EB2-8CEC-B4B520BDDE60.jpeg
D268E22F-B714-4EF6-92CB-4DC807D8BF4A.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back