Entry thread for the October 2020 Challenge - Tall and Skinny Shimmy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szaza

Reaction score
Post your entry photos here. You have until October 27, 2020 at 11:59 pm GMT to submit your entry, so there is still plenty of time!

Your Entry picture(s) must include a photo of at least 2 bars of soap from your batch.

As a reminder, this thread is for entry photos only. Please post all comments on each others' entries in the general challenge thread.

Good luck everyone - I'm looking forward to seeing your creations!

This took me three tries - and I like two of them. Good luck everyone.

Attachments

• C90DFC1A-B544-4A97-BF77-298511E40F54.jpeg
    C90DFC1A-B544-4A97-BF77-298511E40F54.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 76
Well, third try and it finally clicked for me. Don’t be afraid to go with a steeper angle! Im glad I
6674E1A7-9CB7-4740-B2A7-ABE8725DE1D8.jpeg
used a FO in this one. Black Raspberry Vanilla. I used 3 colors with a darker and lighter shade for each. This was in every sense of the word a challenge for me and I’m really happy that @szaza chose this technique.

Last edited:
Look kids, an albino giraffe! Oh wait, it's just soap. 😁 Salt made the lo a little brittle...booooo....
Used hi/lo batters (what great aunts called it when I was a girl way too many years ago), which I think was called a "ghost swirl" in the challenge announcement.

FullSizeRender (38).jpg

Congratulation to all the winners. This was a very difficult challenge and your entries were all amazing. Thank you szaza for hosting........but go easier on us next time!
I will @bookreader451 . I really hope people didn't get frustrated or disappointed with this technique. I tend to enjoy making really technical soaps and I think that reflects in my challenges. I'm already thinking about how to make the next one more rewarding for everyone ;)

I will @bookreader451 . I really hope people didn't get frustrated or disappointed with this technique. I tend to enjoy making really technical soaps and I think that reflects in my challenges. I'm already thinking about how to make the next one more rewarding for everyone ;)
I don’t mind something challenging, alternating with others that are less so. One never knows which technique might turn out to be The One to which we return again and again.

I think it's okay to have something more challenging - that's how we learn. I know it can be frustrating, but often the 'fails' are beautiful, and it is so rewarding to finally feel like you have a skill that you thought was out of reach. With this challenge, for example, while some maybe didn't achieve a 'perfect' shimmy undoubtedly something else was learned. How to control trace, how to spot emulsion, color combinations, etc.

I actually liked the challenge to try this technique. I had seen it but didn’t know how it was achieved, and if it wasn’t for these challenges I would not have attempted it at all! I think it is good to be taken out of our comfort zone at times, thank you for the challenge!

I actually enjoyed the challenge and wish I could have tried it again. I just didn’t get a chance. I discovered a higher OO combination I like, sample use points to no slime and bubbles! That in itself is huge. I never get upset about my challenge efforts. I learn a lot, have fun and do my best. Two more and I will have kept my 2020 goal!

Back