Quantcast

Entry thread for the October 2020 Challenge - Tall and Skinny Shimmy

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

szaza

Reaction score
Post your entry photos here. You have until October 27, 2020 at 11:59 pm GMT to submit your entry, so there is still plenty of time!

Your Entry picture(s) must include a photo of at least 2 bars of soap from your batch.

As a reminder, this thread is for entry photos only. Please post all comments on each others' entries in the general challenge thread.

Good luck everyone - I'm looking forward to seeing your creations!

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My entry for the Tall & Skinny Shimmy challenge. I really love this technique! The soap is scented with a blend of Somali Soul and Sambucus (both from Nurture Soap) which, as it turns out, is a nice combination. Thank you @szaza for hosting!
10.20 Tall & Skinny Shimmy.jpg

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, third try and it finally clicked for me. Don’t be afraid to go with a steeper angle! Im glad I 6674E1A7-9CB7-4740-B2A7-ABE8725DE1D8.jpegused a FO in this one. Black Raspberry Vanilla. I used 3 colors with a darker and lighter shade for each. This was in every sense of the word a challenge for me and I’m really happy that @szaza chose this technique.

Last edited:

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look kids, an albino giraffe! Oh wait, it's just soap. 😁 Salt made the lo a little brittle...booooo....
Used hi/lo batters (what great aunts called it when I was a girl way too many years ago), which I think was called a "ghost swirl" in the challenge announcement.

FullSizeRender (38).jpg

szaza

Reaction score
Congratulation to all the winners. This was a very difficult challenge and your entries were all amazing. Thank you szaza for hosting........but go easier on us next time!
I will @bookreader451 . I really hope people didn't get frustrated or disappointed with this technique. I tend to enjoy making really technical soaps and I think that reflects in my challenges. I'm already thinking about how to make the next one more rewarding for everyone ;)

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I will @bookreader451 . I really hope people didn't get frustrated or disappointed with this technique. I tend to enjoy making really technical soaps and I think that reflects in my challenges. I'm already thinking about how to make the next one more rewarding for everyone ;)
I don’t mind something challenging, alternating with others that are less so. One never knows which technique might turn out to be The One to which we return again and again.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's okay to have something more challenging - that's how we learn. I know it can be frustrating, but often the 'fails' are beautiful, and it is so rewarding to finally feel like you have a skill that you thought was out of reach. With this challenge, for example, while some maybe didn't achieve a 'perfect' shimmy undoubtedly something else was learned. How to control trace, how to spot emulsion, color combinations, etc.

glendam

Reaction score
I actually liked the challenge to try this technique. I had seen it but didn’t know how it was achieved, and if it wasn’t for these challenges I would not have attempted it at all! I think it is good to be taken out of our comfort zone at times, thank you for the challenge!

bookreader451

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I actually enjoyed the challenge and wish I could have tried it again. I just didn’t get a chance. I discovered a higher OO combination I like, sample use points to no slime and bubbles! That in itself is huge. I never get upset about my challenge efforts. I learn a lot, have fun and do my best. Two more and I will have kept my 2020 goal!