Entry thread for the April 2022 SMF Soap Challenge - Straight line design

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szaza

Reaction score
This is the entry thread for the April 2022 SMF Soap Challenge - Straight line design. You are welcome to post more than one photo, but the photo you want used for the voting survey should be at the top of your post. Your entry may include information about your design, process, colors, fragrance or inspiration.

After the closing date on April 26, 2022 at 11:59pm GMT the winning entry will be chosen. Voting will be open March 27-29, 2022 and the winner will be announced on April 30, 2022. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

Please post any comments to participants about their entries in the general challenge thread here.

Good luck everyone!

I'm calling this one "Coat of Many Colors." FO is Seventh Heaven.

April 2022 SMF challenge 3.jpg
April 2022 SMF challenge.jpg

April 2022 SMF challenge 4.jpg

PS - to loosely quote the Bard, "Out, d@** stearic spots, out!"

Last edited:
Yikes, stripes! I created an eighteen layer soap with two halves of the color spectrum, starting with purple, then yellow, then bluish purple, orangey yellow, so that adjacent colors are across from each other in the spectrum. Because I am a maniac I used plant colorants, and I think I mostly hit what I was going for with the exception of what was supposed to be greenish yellow. The soap is colored with lye with madder, indigo, and woad; and infused oils of gromwell, Himalayan rhubarb root, annatto, paprika, and parsley. It is scented with tangerine, açaI, and fruit slices.
9B131233-5073-43A7-9CF3-D75BA9925617.jpeg

here’s the design and final soap.
6026B6A2-24D6-4D12-8B32-64ED027D9959.jpeg

This was a fun new to me technique! My son’s comment about my soap was that it looked like a comfortable old shirt. I’ll take it.

I’m enjoying making layers so much I just ordered the Cheshire Cat. I wish I had it for this challenge. The Caterpiller may just have fallen in my cart too. 😂
I used Tickled Pink and Maniacal Pea for my colors and scented it with Love Spell i divided up my oils and lye and made 6 small batches. It was time consuming but fun and I love the look.
46CFF3BA-D197-4073-A5CD-D9F4D117C262.jpeg

I originally made a soap with 6 layers that was nothing close to straight lines. These aren't perfect, but much improved, even with the stearic spots on the 1st layer. I probably should have used the same angle for each layer, but I wanted it to be less uniform so used a few different things to tilt my mold.

This is scented with The Tonic (a Hedonic Tonic dupe), so the colors were chosen for the sage. I used M&M Hunter Green and Silver Graphite, both mixed in the 3rd layer.

I also just bought this tiny little lightbox so I'm playing with it 😆
PSX_20220425_094753.jpg
PSX_20220425_095218.jpg
PSX_20220425_094949.jpg

9264B34A-E3D8-49A6-834E-5520144385D5.jpeg

I think I’m going to call this one Proof of Concept in Stripes. I wish I could get a better photo, but it’s late and this is my last chance to get my entry posted.

First I’ll get the issues out of the way so I can drag myself past obsessing. Apparently the setup to level the mold for the yellow and red sections did not work as well when the mold was turned for the blue section. The first three very thin layers of blue and white soap were made individually as teensy, tiny batches. The next two layers of blue and white were doubled up because otherwise I would have gone crazy. I really thought that very first blue layer was set up. The uppermost white layer in the red and white section is the one that accelerated. You can see the spatula work in the 5th photo below.

I’m amazed that there are almost no bubbles and that there was no leakage from the mold. The oxide colors are as expected, but look a little less intense in daylight compared with this photo. The soap smells lemony (straight Litsea eo). I love stripes and have wanted to make a soap like this for a long time, but have been too lazy to try to calculate how much batter I would need for each layer in the third section (red & white in this soap). Then I thought of the tape. Now I’m looking forward to trying it again in a larger flat-sided mold.

Thanks for setting up the challenge @szaza

Here’s how the soap was made.

74D8EA8B-C22C-480D-9D5A-CC0E278398A7.jpeg F5CB6AD9-04A6-4A14-BCB7-844669D68895.jpeg 1B528D23-6494-456F-A7F3-E3456295F2DB.jpeg 2DDCA5DE-6926-4B5C-B887-137E6CAD2E2B.jpegB6D73CD8-80B6-4493-9BCC-6D1E2EFFD9CC.jpeg 6D2DF1AE-D7D5-432A-9421-55B7AEB3B1FE.jpeg

Congrats @Vicki C and @Jersey Girl! It is truly humbling to stand among the Great Ones.🤩

And thank you @szaza for hosting - great challenge with such a good tutorial. I appreciate all the time and effort that goes into making this happen for us!

You are too kind. 🥰. Your soap was perfect ♥️

Congratulations @Vicki C and @AliOop. Beautiful soaps. @mx6inpenn i love your use of different angles and @Mobjack Bay …the time and thought you put into your design blew me away. Amazing! ♥

This is the entry thread for the April 2022 SMF Soap Challenge - Straight line design. You are welcome to post more than one photo, but the photo you want used for the voting survey should be at the top of your post. Your entry may include information about your design, process, colors, fragrance or inspiration.

After the closing date on April 26, 2022 at 11:59pm GMT the winning entry will be chosen. Voting will be open March 27-29, 2022 and the winner will be announced on April 30, 2022. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

Please post any comments to participants about their entries in the general challenge thread here.

Back