Entry thread for SMF February 2023 Challenge – Soap Curls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the entry thread for the February 2023 SMF Challenge – Soap Curls. As a reminder, this entry thread is for challenge photos only. Please post any comments to the general challenge thread, here.

You are welcome to post more than one photo, but the photo for the voting survey should be at the top of your entry post. As a reminder, you must present at least two bars of soap from a batch made for this challenge. Please refer to the specific challenge rules, here, to refresh on the other rules for this challenge.

The entry thread will remain open until February 27th at 11:59 pm GMT. After the entry thread closes, the winning entry will be chosen using Survey Monkey. A message with the voting survey link and password will be sent to those who signed up for the challenge and the results will be announced in this thread soon thereafter. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

Good luck to all!

P.S. Please remember that each participant will need to look up the correct time for the location where they live. Here is a link to one mechanism for determining the correct time in your time zone versus GMT: GMT to CST Converter - Savvy Time

Submitting for @Nicolesica. She wrote:

Because I had so much MP I needed to get rid of, my Feb challenge is a Valentines M&P submission which was donated to our local animal shelter for their yearly fundraiser. Good luck everyone, and thank you admins for another challenge to stretch my knowledge and abilities. appreciate you all!

2.jpg
3.jpg

1.jpg

My inspiration was Mardi Gras. I used a combination of CP and M&P in an attempt to make soap with soap curl embed that look like neon light bar signs, cyalume sticks, etc. The cylinder down the center has soap curls and cubes, but it’s mostly the added cubes that are showing up in the cut soap. I’m fine with the soap being a little crazy, just like the French Quarter and Mardi Gras.

9B589FD0-5A9E-4BFF-8D08-BF78BFACE803.jpeg

I forgot to take a pic of the soap curl embed-making process for this particular test-sized loaf, but here are a couple to show my process using more delicate curls. The obvious challenge is to get the M&P to flow down into the interior of the curls.

6FBC4800-4045-4CB8-8A34-7EF2DC31721D.jpeg
87595EBF-84A7-416A-930B-CCC397DDE8CB.jpeg

ETA: I made the M&P I used for the soap curls a little more pliable by adding a little bit of extra glycerin.

Last edited:
This particular challenge was a good opportunity to use The Sage’s Rhubarb and Sugar Cane fragrance oil that I’ve had for a while. Wanted to incorporate the greenish yellow and red from actual rhubarb. Colors did not come out exactly as I had hoped but I’m fine with it. Some “curls” I made thicker/thinner to make a more visually varied design.

The whole thing came together over weeks. Overall, I’m mostly happy with the design. And REALLY happy with the fragrance oil. Perfectly tart and not overly sweet.
47C594A9-53B9-4CC0-8755-666FFC9D8125.jpeg

Last edited:
For this months challenge, I am happy I didn’t pull all my hair out…. 😂
I couldn’t decide if I wanted White or Black base soap, so I decided to make both in one slab mold. For the middle where the 2 meet, I just wanted to let the soap go as it wants and not try to control it. I made 3 color soap loaf for the curls and some are stripey (bow and curtsy to Lisa from I Dream in Soap Stripey Soap Curls). I’m submitting the white bars for my entry, but thought you might want to see the other bars for fun. I used Energy FO from BB. 🌸
E71DE126-ADAB-4ED1-8953-7A5F4104A745.jpeg

4E2D4327-B99A-4211-ABD6-9D6DA96AD7A2.jpeg
08740EAC-B0F4-4A77-8378-A720AA996B86.jpeg
AA4388E7-A5FB-4ED8-B1B3-54F991EEF8A4.jpeg

Back