Emulsified Scrub Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks BakingNana! I have never heard of that. I would start a new thread...Soapbuddy...Carebare...Lindy...all those good with preservative questions might chime in. I usually stick with optiphen.

@ agriffin-I posted a new thread on it on the 11th (last Monday). Guess no one has heard of it or tried it. I may have to be the guinea pig.

Optiphen is a really good alternative to the paraben concerns. Another one that is quite good is Liquid Germall Plus, although it can be more of a skin irritant.

Something I just recently learned is that when you buy Optiphen or any other preservative, ask for the Certificate of Analysis so you know when it was made, and when it needs to be re-certified. This will help you make sure you are not getting preservative that is getting through its own shelf-life.

agriffin said:
Thanks BakingNana! I have never heard of that. I would start a new thread...Soapbuddy...Carebare...Lindy...all those good with preservative questions might chime in. I usually stick with optiphen.
I haven't heard of this new preservative either. For me, for this type of a formula, Optiphen seems to work the best and it's paraben free.

I have heard of it very recently while reading... have not researched it at all but sounds interesting. As time goes on I'm sure we'll hear more about it!

(BTW!!)
I won this scrub in a drawing and it's GREAT! A very luxurious bath item and I enjoyed it very much. The texture was great but do not put your wet hands into it. Spoon it out.

depends on your preservative. but actually the list is narrow as you will need an oil soluble one - like phenonip. recommended use levels are generally 0.5-1%.

tasha said:
I have some ground walnut shell.. Just ordered it, haven't tried it yet. It was super cheap though, I got it from BB.

Coffee sounds painful, just my experience from soap, but I haven't tried it in a scrub either.

Ground walnuts can be very 'ouchy' - hopefully what you get is ground finely enough, otherwise, your scrub might end up as a foot scrub... :shock:

I thought I'd bump up this old thread because Hazel mentioned that she was going to make this scrub (with liquid soap) and compare it to the kind she usually makes. I was curious to see what your thoughts were, Hazel - or anyone else who has made the comparison. I have not yet made any emulsified scrub, so I'm very curious to hear what difference people notice between the two types. I thought about trying a recipe from swiftcraftymonkey's blog (there are a few on there) and none of those use liquid soap. Thanks!

I'm sorry to disappoint you but I never got around to making it. I haven't done any scrubs since the one I did for the Nostalgia swap.

I...am...scum. :oops:

Soap scum, that is. I've mainly been making soaps and bath fizzies because my family prefer these and don't really care for scrubs. I need to get motivated because I told Amanda I'd send her some scrubs for comparison.

I'm sorry Amanda. I'll get some made up this weekend.

dubnica said:
but the sugar melted in...its not scruby anymore...its like thick cream or something...I just want to re-use it...so maybe I should add more ewax and sugar?

That happened to me too, then I just took the stick blender to it & pulsed until it was thick again covered it & the next day then added a boatload of course Demerra brown suger & it worked perfectly.

Thanks Amanda for the recipe and thanks to SudsyKay for bumping the thread :lol: Just a quick question. If you don't want to use the liquid soap in the recipe, do you substitute the same quantity of water or do you simply leave it out--no other adjustments required?

Amanda, are you still watching this thread?

I got everything to make this today finally, and can't decide what to use instead of the fco and jojoba oils (don't have either, but I have plenty of other oils, didn't want to buy more). If you were making this for you or a loved one, what would you use?

Soft oils: OO, Sunflower, Safflower, Sweet Almond, and Grape Seed

I also have other hard oils, not sure if they can be used with the same results: lard, tallow, palm, 76deg CO

I also have some vitamin e oil, would it be good to add to this?

Amy -

Not Amanda but I wanted to mention a few things.

This is just a suggestion but if your kids are going to use this scrub then you'll want to stick with using grapeseed, safflower and sunflower. These oils probably would be better for your skin, too. (I'm basing this info on one of your other posts.)

Olive isn't good for oily or large pored skin. You could probably use some 76 CO but your finished product might be very stiff with this and the butters.

I always add Vitamin E to all lotions, scrubs, etc. It helps to prevent rancidity and it's good for the skin.

Just my 2 cents. :D

Thanks Hazel :D I was thinking kinda-sorta along those lines but I'm still such a newb!

Ugh, big flop. Was going perfect til I added the phenonip, totally lost the emulsion, added the sugar anyway and got this the picture below. Tried added 10g more e-wax, then 10g more, still no emulsion and now the sugar is all dissolved. I don't think I'm cut out for anything other than soap :(

196960_10150156819242664_529342663_8327956_5287691_n.jpg

Zoinks!

I'll have to make this again and see if there is anything advice I can offer. I've had a couple of people tell me the sugar dissolves or they lose the emulsion- I've never had those issues. I made it several times with several different types of sugar..and scrubbies.

And I agree with Hazel on the oil choices.

Latest posts

Back