Emulsified Scrub Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agriffin

Reaction score
brown-sugar_web.jpg

I've been working on an emulsified scrub and finally came up with one I really liked- wanted to share.

There are a few reasons I really like this one.
1. It has liquid soap that helps cut some of the greasiness. You can omit if you want.
2. It's thick like peanut butter - but if you want to thin it down you certainly can. Being thick makes it easier to ship.
3. No more layer of oil with scrub on the bottom. Much easier to scoop out and use.

Ingredients:

40 g stearic acid
25 g emulsifying wax
20 g shea butter
20 g cocoa butter
60 g fractionated coconut oil
15 g jojoba oil
40 g unscented liquid soap
180 g water
3 % fragrance
Preservative
200 g sugar or salt

Supplies:

Microwaveable containers
Thermometer
Scale
Stick Blender
Packaging containers

*Be sure to sterilize all of your equipment and containers if needed.

Instructions:

1. Weigh out the stearic acid, emulsifying wax, shea butter and cocoa butter into a microwaveable container and heat until melted.

2. Add the fractionated coconut oil and jojoba oil to melted mixture.

3. In another microwaveable container weigh out the liquid soap and distilled water. Heat in microwave until warm- not boiling. Add to your prepared mix.

4. With short bursts, use your stick blender to mix until emulsified.

5. Take temperature of the mixture. When it has cooled down enough to add your preservative and fragrance stir them in.

6. Mix in your sugar or salt. Pour into your packaging containers and ENJOY!

I posted a recipe card download so you can print and also a giveaway on my blog.

I printed off your little card and I'm putting it in my binder for later! :) Your blog is just lovely!

Thanks for sharing. I make an emulsifying scrub but mine doesn't include liquid soap. I'll have to try this and see which I like better.

Hi Hazel - You where my motivation for making the scrub. Let me know if you like the soap added. After you had mentioned that you were making a scrub with goat's milk...I was like...gee I want to try a scrub! Lol.

Thanks, Sunny!

So I think I like sugar the best. Both white and brown. I did one with some sea salt and I couldn't even feel the scrub. It wasn't abrasive at all. I'd like to try apricot kernel or something like that. There's seeds, but those are kinda expensive. Haven't tried coffee yet. What else is out there for scrubby-ness?

Oatmeal, cornmeal (very, very scrubby - be careful), jojoba beads, coffee grounds (again - very scrubby - ouch - ask me how I know. :shock: )

Shucks...thanks for crediting me for motivation. :lol:

I have some ground walnut shell.. Just ordered it, haven't tried it yet. It was super cheap though, I got it from BB.

Coffee sounds painful, just my experience from soap, but I haven't tried it in a scrub either.

I've only used it in soap but the last time I ran it through a coffee grinder first. Then I put it in the soap and I could barely feel the exfoliation. So, I thought why not do this again and try it in a scrub? :idea:

Of course, I haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Too many ideas, too little time. :(

Yeah...I used folgers one time in soap and it was good. Then another time I ground my own and I guess it doesn't do it as fine. It was wayyyyy too scrubby.

Walnut shell- I'll have to try that. Let me know if you try it.

Hmmmm...I wonder if the cornmeal get's mooooshy over time?

Hazel said:
agriffin said:
Hmmmm...I wonder if the cornmeal get's mooooshy over time?

So far it hasn't and I've been using it for over 4 weeks. I don't use it every day - only about 2 or 3 times a week.

Cool, I'll have to try cornmeal.

Thanks, Hazel!

I tried to make this surag scrub twice and I ended up with more of a conditioner looking goop then scrub. First the preservative Optiphen broke down my emulsion so I kept whipping thinking it will blend back together but it kept separating. I added sugar to it anyway (raw and regular)hoping it will all come together at the end- BUT NOPE.. what can I do with it now?

but the sugar melted in...its not scruby anymore...its like thick cream or something...I just want to re-use it...so maybe I should add more ewax and sugar?

Hmmmm...I never have the sugar melt down all the way. You can make this base, let it sit and add your scrub ingredients after it has cooled. That might help.

Since it's an emulsified scrub it is a lotion-like (or conditioner like) base for the scrub. That is why I prefer it. I don't like a jar full of oils.

I'm not sure why your emulsion broke. Did you try adding more ewax and sugar?

I hope you can get it to work!

I just LOVE your blog and thanks for the cute recipe card download. I have a question on preservatives for the scrub.

Part of my sell is being paraben-free. I found a site, Tri-K, that is marketing a "natural" preservative and they say the FDA has ruled does not even need to be listed on a label. ??? The name is Tristat Stabil. Anyone know about this? I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to make your scrub!!

Back