Emulsified body butter, but no water.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just experimented with anhydrous body butter adding several different emulsifiers, solid ester or fatty alcohol in to the basic mixture of butter, semi solid (babassu) oil and oil. Also added some coco caprylate after wards.

They all did something to the skin feel of the final product. I was most happy with the batches that had BTSM or myristyl myristate in them. They felt like they absorbed more quickly and left my skin feel less tacky and oily few minutes later. I went through Swift's blog to see anhydrous body butter modifiers and all my add-ons were picked there. The main point in the blog was to increase the melting point but also to pay attention to the skin feel. I didn't care so much about the melting point, that's never been an issue for me, but I wanted less greasy feeling body butter. And I think I succeeded in that.

Using wax for the melt point increaser would also change the skin feel and I haven't tried it but I'm guessing the skin feel would be much more draggy and could also make the skin sticky as the wax absorbs poorly. Probably not a problem with body butter but I'm using deodorant that has wax in it and I need to clean my armpits with scratchy shower cloth semi regularly otherwise the wax will stick to my skin and keeps the sweat smell with it. Never had that problem before so I'm accusing the wax atm.

There is a soft and silky e wax that helps the texture of ur body butters. I think WSP carries it

@Winterx -- Oh, wow! I can see why you're just as confused as the rest of us!!! o_O The ingredients listing on the product label should contain ALL ingredients, not just some, so the confusion here is entirely the seller's problem. Consumers shouldn't have to go to the Etsy listing to get the whole story.
I know this is an older post, but hopefully you'll see this! I have seen this same body butter and have been racking my brain trying to figure out how water is FIFTH on the ingredient list! How does that work?! There's a very interesting making of video on the listings too. I swear it looks like they are mixing the emulsifier with water and then pouring the butters into that base. I'm SO curious to know what they are doing!! You should go have a look! I'm also wondering if the producer of the product is just not listing every single ingredient on the label. Which if that's the case...it's not great practice. Clearly it's not hurting them any though!

...I have seen this same body butter and have been racking my brain trying to figure out how water is FIFTH on the ingredient list! How does that work?! ...

With this particular maker, I'm not sure what to think. Obviously the ingredients lists they have for this product are inconsistent, so perhaps the water isn't the 5th ingredient in order by weight. Or maybe water really is 5th by weight and it's a formulation the posters here, including me, don't have a lot of experience with. Hard to say.

With this particular maker, I'm not sure what to think. Obviously the ingredients lists they have for this product are inconsistent, so perhaps the water isn't the 5th ingredient in order by weight. Or maybe water really is 5th by weight and it's a formulation the posters here, including me, don't have a lot of experience with. Hard to say.
I was wondering if it was the water in oil method? Or maybe the other way around lol. I've purchased it too, and it really doesn't feel like anything revolutionary. It is good, but...feels like an emulsified body butter :smallshrug:

Back